CrazyBoards.org

So depressed after working out...

Does this happen to anyone else? I went to a Zumba class today and it was a great workout (more intense than I thought) but always with any type of exercise afterwards this big wave of depression/mixed state like feelings come over me. Like, I have energy, but I just hate everyone and feel so uncomfortable. Restless almost. And I was definitely exhausted, it's not like I had more energy to "burn" before the class was over. The whole act usually feels like a chore when it's happening, then afterward I feel awful. Am I not working hard enough to get that endorphin rush people get addicted to?

I've been walking daily for 8 years, and I have never experienced that rush.  I joined a gym and went 3 times a week for 3 years, and never had an endorphin rush.

If I didn't know reliable people who swear they have experienced it, I would tend to think it's a bunch of manure.  However, people I trust have told me it happens to them when they jog and do other exercises.

The one thing I've learned after exercising unwillingly for 8 years is that you have to do it because it's good for your heart and lungs and muscles.  It would be nice if it made us feel better, but that doesn't happen to everyone.  So keep at it because it's good for you, but if you're like me, you finish the class feeling sweaty and uncomfortable and you think "Thank god that's over with for today."

olga

i'm not necessarily depressed after working out but i've never gotten a rush or felt super energized afterwards. i just feel more tired - definitely more sweaty - and glad its over. i'm sure that improves my mood overall in the long run but i always get frustrated when people talk about this amazing rush of endorphins. i don't get it. 

The endorphin rush isn't a guarantee. It happens sometimes. It's more of an occasional reminder rather than something to rely on.

If you're feeling awful then it's likely a nutrition thing. Either dehydration or lacking in a macro nutrient like carbohydrates or protein. That's why they say chocolate milk is good after a workout - it has both so you don't need to guess at what your body is asking for.

Hmm maybe it is nutritional. I cut out gluten and it helped me feel a ton better but I haven't been up on the carbs lately. I wonder also if it has to do with the Adderal "crash." I take the instant release generic and my new pdoc talked to me about supplementing it with the long acting one. Might be worth trying out. It's been over 2 hours and I still feel absolutely terrible. :(

Yeah, I have this delicious high-brow jerky (it doesn't sound good but it's SOOO GOOD) and I ate a bag of it and some brocolli sauteed in olive oil and garlic for dinner. I'm grossing out right now about all the trash food I've been puttting in my body. Oy.

It might have to also do with having seen myself jiggle in full length mirrors for an hour - I HAD NO IDEA I looked THIS BAD. The weight came on FAST with no real dietary changes, I was just really sedentary. I put on 30 lbs. in less than 2 months, I don't even recognize myself anymore. :(

It can be really hard to go from sedentary to full workout. It can be helpful to taper up activity levels to get used to them.

This might mean starting by walking around the block once a day or twice a day and then increasing every few days from there until you can walk for a half-hour.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too - I'm thinking of trying Zumba Gold - for the older crowd or just REALLY out of shape, I can't believe how quickly my fitness deteriorated. I was still running in, like, May of last year and well into June. I felt like a rock today. 

Also, Geodon did a number on fluid retention and my joints and flexibility feel terrible. I'm weaning off and back onto Lamictal. Some of the weight was the ravenous hunger/panic attack induced eating I had on Geodon. That's when the pounds packed on.

I'm also thinking of joining a rec league for one of the roller derby teams and eventually trying out. Not sure if I'm going to try skating tomorrow or do the Zumba Gold. I LOVE skating, it's kinda zen for me. 

God I just feel SO SHITTY right now, I wish there were a fix for this. :(

Edited by yellowlovesgray

I usually just feel tired afterwards. I have had the adrenalin rush once or twice when running (I have to run at least 4kms though) but it's nothing like what I've read it is. It usually kicks in a few hours later and I just feel a bit more awake and energetic than I do normally. It doesn't last long.

"Am I not working hard enough to get that endorphin rush people get addicted to?"

I've never had that, no matter how hard I have worked, and that has been impressive amounts and to the point of exhaustion, back in the day 

(Now I hit fatigue limits getting washed and dressed.)

I just had to take it that that "high" wasn't for everyone.

Given that I always found exercise boring and somewhat painful.

The only way I could enjoy it was is I was doing something worthwhile: building a drystone wall, or shifting earth and rocks for landscaping...

Swimming was a bit of an exception.  In a decent water temperature I could happily alternate between active and lazy swimming until I was really tired.

Chris.

I'm an ultrarunner, and I have experienced - if I was depressed - awful crushing suffocating depression while running.  Exercise does not necessarily equal a cessation of depression, if I'm bad, it can make it worse. 

It's pretty odd you get depressed afterwards though because exercise is supposed to make you less depressed. Have you tried simply jogging or maybe the elliptical machine (runners high)? If Zumba seems like a chore to you, you might want to find something you enjoy more. 

There are some of us who don't enjoy ANY form of exercise. I've done Zumba, Body Sculpt classes, yoga, walking, snow-shoeing, the machine circuit at the gym and various sports.  I hate them all.  Hate them.  I hate getting sweaty, I hate having to do it, I hate having to get out of my chair and go exercise.

I only do it because I have to.  If they invent a pill you can take that mimics the effect of 40 minutes of exercise a day, I'd buy it by the truckload.

And when I'm really depressed, I hate it even more.

olga

Edited by olga
typo

Exercise does not necessarily equal a cessation of depression, if I'm bad, it can make it worse.

^THIS.

I do like to go walking in the mornings, but sometimes it does feel like a chore.  If my mood is crappy, it can make it worse by the time I get home, as stated above.

There are some of us who don't enjoy ANY form of exercise.

And when I'm really depressed, I hate it even more.

olga

And at then exactly at those times you meet someone who says "you just need to do some exercise to get a high and feel really great!"

Thus displaying a common failing prevalent in mainstream humanity,

that of an individual thinking what is true for them is true for everyone.

A major failure of theory of mind.

(Those of us who have grown up as part of one or more minorities tend to have "not everyone is like you" jammed into our awareness from quite early on. This can be done positively, but I suspect that  most often it isn't.)

"There are some of us who don't enjoy ANY form of exercise."

And wasn't compulsory sports at school such great fun?

Chris.