CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I started Seroquel a week ago and simultaneously got cold and a very very stuffed nose. I cannot breathe. I really really like Seroquel and I don't want to ditch it but it seems I will have to. I am taking it for sleep. It is one of the few things which can knock me out. I take 150 mgs. The lack of oxygen is making me anxious. Antihistamines barely help.

i'm not sure if this is a reported symptom of seroquel? i've never heard it before. but what i can tell you is i have very bad allergies and sinus problems and asthma and seroquel never worsened any of them. i do use a nasal inhaler, asthma inhalers, and take an allergy pill every day though.

Edited by radicalfeminist

Yes, a stuffed nose is a side effect of Seroquel. I have had that side effect myself

The Seroquel XR website says that: 

"The most common side effects are drowsiness, dry mouth, constipation, dizziness, increased appetite, upset stomach, weight gain, fatigue, disturbance in speech and language, and stuffy nose".

http://www.seroquelxr.com/bipolar-disorder/seroquel-xr-expect.aspx

I would prefer to take Seroquel, have a stuffy nose and be mentally well than not to take Seroquel, be able to breathe more easily and be mentally unwell. Every medication brings side effects.

I consider having a stuffed nose to be a very small side effect and I deal with that because I know that Seroquel is keeping my mood stable. I guess it's where your priorities lie...

Hello.  I get stuffy, too.  There's a holistic technique of gently applying pressure on your sinuses, on either side of your nose.  Sometimes the sinuses start draining right away.  Other times it may take 20-30 minutes.  Then the motion of getting up from bed can help loosen congestion.

Worth a try, no?

When i was on seroquel it made me have like a stuffy nose. So that's partially why i got off of it. And it was like it was causing a sinus infection.....that's a side effect of seroquel if you read the pamphlet that comes with it.. it says "may cause a stuffy nose"