CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety over anxiety?

Am I the only one who gets scared wondering whether their physical symptoms of anxiety and panic are really that or if it's a sign that something is wrong in their body? 

Example: Tingling of/ pain in extremities or a headache turns into "Oh my God! I'm having a heart attack or a stroke!"

I feel like I'm getting bad again from the lack of benzos (long story as to why I can't be on them anymore). It's so frustrating because the sensations are so real and intense but in reality my mind is just overreacting.

Please tell me that I am not the only one that has this issue.

Am I the only one who gets scared wondering whether their physical symptoms of anxiety and panic are really that or if it's a sign that something is wrong in their body? 

Example: Tingling of/ pain in extremities or a headache turns into "Oh my God! I'm having a heart attack or a stroke!"

I feel like this is the bulk of my anxiety. So, yes, I can definitely relate and I do think it is very common. My first panic attack was because I thought I was having a heart attack, but turned out to be symptoms of high anxiety. Even now I still obsess over physical symptoms from my anxiety turning into or being something real and severe. It's exhausting.

I've known a couple of people who have ended up at the doctor's office or ER thinking they were having a heart attack, when it was panic.

Yep. My first really bad anxiety attack, when I was 14, landed me in the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack, and it was terrifying. The nurses and doctors thought I had overdosed or was super high on drugs or something, so they stuck me in the wrist to take some kind of blood gas test or something, which just freaked me out more. I remember watching how fast my heart rate was on the monitor and watching it would make me more anxious so that it would only go higher. Ugh, what a shitty time. It took quite a bit of Valium to calm me down that night.