CrazyBoards.org

Hypomania = Bipolar, or not?

So every once in a while I will have a hypomanic episode, usually triggered by strong emotions and thinking a lot. One thing I noticed is that many times that I don't go to sleep, and stay up all night, I get hypomanic. My question is: can people who DON'T have bipolar have (hypo)mania, for instance, if a person without bipolar stays up all night, could they have a hypomanic episode, or does it only happen if you are bipolar? Help please!

Well, from my observations of people I work with, if they didn't sleep, all they are is tired. I'm usually in a great mood if I haven't slept because I am usually hypomanic causing me not to sleep. For me it's the hypomania causing the lack of sleep, not the other way around.

So is it possible for a "normal" person (without bipolar) to have a (hypo)manic episode? If you have occasional mild hypomanic episodes does that mean you are probably bipolar?

I guess a nonbipolar person could have a hypomanic reaction to meds or something but I have tried to explain hypo/mania to my friends that know I have it and they haven't ever had that and can't wrap their heads around feeling like that.

My best guess is if you are having mild hypomanias that would fall under your SZA diagnosis. In my nondoctor opinion. I have SZA bipolar type, and I have mood swings from mania to moderate depression. It's only because I have delusions and hallucinations that I got the SZA diagnosis.

One thing about depression, some people eat or sleep all day, some people don't, or can't. It's not a rule that depressed people can't sleep.

Edited by wj74

So is it possible for a "normal" person (without bipolar) to have a (hypo)manic episode? If you have occasional mild hypomanic episodes does that mean you are probably bipolar?

I guess a nonbipolar person could have a hypomanic reaction to meds or something but I have tried to explain hypo/mania to my friends that know I have it and they haven't ever had that and can't wrap their heads around feeling like that.

My best guess is if you are having mild hypomanias that would fall under your SZA diagnosis. In my nondoctor opinion. I have SZA bipolar type, and I have mood swings from mania to moderate depression. It's only because I have delusions and hallucinations that I got the SZA diagnosis.

This is about you, right?

Yeah. I am just a bit confused because 1) my hypomania has pretty much never turned into full-blown mania and 2) I don't get depressed when I "come down" from the episode

Your signature says you have major depression... is that your opinion or the docs? I'm just thinking maybe you do and don't realize it? Or maybe you have the more uncommon symptoms of depression, like sometimes I just get really tired and sluggish, no motivation. That's not my baseline.

Your signature says you have major depression... is that your opinion or the docs? I'm just thinking maybe you do and don't realize it? Or maybe you have the more uncommon symptoms of depression, like sometimes I just get really tired and sluggish, no motivation. That's not my baseline.

Your signature says you have major depression... is that your opinion or the docs? I'm just thinking maybe you do and don't realize it? Or maybe you have the more uncommon symptoms of depression, like sometimes I just get really tired and sluggish, no motivation. That's not my baseline

I have had very long bouts of depression in the past, but it has been over a year since i last got depressed. i just don't get depressed after mania like most people do.

Before I was diagnosed bipolar (had just a depression label at that time) I would frequently go from hypomania to normal. I didn't experience depressive episodes afterward either. It wasn't until my illness progressed I started to go through periods of major hypomania, with a major depression following it. Not until I started having very bad mixed states did I go back to a psychiatrist. It is possible to have hypomania's without the crash, not every one experiences  the crash every time.

ETA: I did have depressive episodes during this time, but they did not immediately follow a hypomanic episode. It was more like, Hypomanic, normal, depressed, hypomanic, normal, depressed.

Edited by AnnaBanana

I can go through hypomania and not crash.  When I am hypomanic I can not sleep, and then be perfectly fine (as in not at all tired) the next day.  When not hypomanic, I am tired after a night of not sleeping.  That's how I know if I'm getting hypo or not - whether or not I'm tired the next day after a non-sleeping night, or if I have several no-to-little sleep nights in a row and still don't feel tired.

Also, in my experience, the hypomania causes the sleep disturbance, not the other way around.  

I can go through hypomania and not crash.  When I am hypomanic I can not sleep, and then be perfectly fine (as in not at all tired) the next day.  When not hypomanic, I am tired after a night of not sleeping.  That's how I know if I'm getting hypo or not - whether or not I'm tired the next day after a non-sleeping night, or if I have several no-to-little sleep nights in a row and still don't feel tired.

Also, in my experience, the hypomania causes the sleep disturbance, not the other way around.  

This^ is me too.

And I can have periods of normal/base mood inbetween my hypomanic moods and depressed moods or I can go from one to the other.

I think you need to be asking your Doctor these questions....