CrazyBoards.org

Hello everyone, I'm not sure where to start because this is the first time I've posted anything but here goes:

I have been being treated for depression and anxiety for quite some time now, since I was about 14 years old (I'm now almost 24). Recently I have been being more active in my treatment and doing more research and I believe with every fiber of my being that I have some form of ADD and have for a long time. I've touched the topic with my "dr." who is actually a nurse practitioner at a state run mental health clinic and she told me I have to be evaluated for add or adhd and that my insurance, which is from the state and only covers visits to that state run clinic, will not pay for an evaluation. My main question I suppose is, where do I look into getting this "evaluation" and what should I do at this point?

I will note that at my last appointment I was taken off of Wellbutrin and put on Strattera, which I was on for all of 1 day and stopped after having a suicidal crazy cry all day feeling and now I'm just taking a small dose of Wellbutrin. The NP scheduled me to see a dr and said he may put me on a low dose stimulant but she is not sure. I have expressed that I do not want a stimulant, I just want to find out if ADD is my problem as I think it is, and go from there. Sorry if i rambled but I just am not sure what to do at this point, any help or information is appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I live in the state of Tennessee in the United States.

Just want to add that I have an appointment on Monday. My mom is going with me so wish me luck!

Edited by LunaRegina

Hi LunaRegina, what country do you live in?  This site has members from many countries so it might help responders to give you more specific answers re: your evaluation options.  Welcome to CrazyBoards.  I'm a new member, also, and have found a lot of support here.

Edited by shesellsseashells

Hi LunaRegina, what country do you live in?  This site has members from many countries so it might help responders to give you more specific answers.  Welcome to CrazyBoards.  I'm a new member, also, and have found a lot of support here.

Thanks for that. I didn't think to post where I live. I edited my post. Thanks for the welcome also! =)

My pleasure!  A psychiatrist can diagnose ADD/ADHD in a standard office visit, which it sounds like you have scheduled.  Sorry to hear about your bad time with Strattera.  I was recently diagnosed (at 38) by a pdoc.  He picked up on it during my initial evaluation.  I haven't taken any medication for it with him because he wanted to see me a second time before making med changes (he also will only change one med at a time and my bipolar symptoms are more pressing so we'll probably address those first), so that's coming up.  My firsthand experience in this area is pretty limited, as you can see (although I have an ADHD brother and father) so I'm sure someone else with more experience will be more helpful to you, but I wanted to at least say that you can be evaluated for ADD/ADHD in a regular psychiatrist appointment.  Hope that makes sense, I'm a little off today.  Best of luck to you! 

I wonder if your person is referring to being tested by a psychologist. That's usually not covered under medicaid unless it's part of an initial determination for benefits eligibility.

If there are any universities with a clinical psychology department near you, you could see if they're willing to do a free or low cost evaluation. Just phone some universities and ask about it. That's how I got my assessment done. My assessment was done by a licensed psychologist and a clinical psychology PhD student at my university. It was free for me and I only had to wait about 3 months to get it done. Many universities have loooong waiting lists though. Worth a shot though.

If there are any universities with a clinical psychology department near you, you could see if they're willing to do a free or low cost evaluation. Just phone some universities and ask about it. That's how I got my assessment done. My assessment was done by a licensed psychologist and a clinical psychology PhD student at my university. It was free for me and I only had to wait about 3 months to get it done. Many universities have loooong waiting lists though. Worth a shot though.

I did try that just now and unfortunately the University does not have that available. Thanks for the tip though =)

I wonder if your person is referring to being tested by a psychologist. That's usually not covered under medicaid unless it's part of an initial determination for benefits eligibility.

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

I know it isn't covered I just am not sure where to go from here.

Usually you need to find a licensed psychologist who has a PhD or PsyD and is qualified to perform assessments and actually does testing on a regular basis. You might check with the disability services office at your local college/university to see if they have any recommendations.

You might have to save money. Be sure to tell them that you have medicaid and that testing probably isn't covered by your insurance. They probably have some kind of a self-pay discount/cash price for people who are paying out of pocket. It's still not going to be cheap, though.

I'm wondering what you would hope to get out of an assessment. Is it to rule in/out ADD? How would things change if someone said you met diagnostic criteria and testing criteria?

I saw a list of adult AD/HD support groups on the ADDA website and thought of you, LunaRegina.  I don't know if either of the groups in Tennessee are near to you, but you might try going to one to see if someone there has suggestions as to affordable local diagnostic resources.  Just a thought!  http://031df74.netsolhost.com/Downloads/States.pdf

Usually you need to find a licensed psychologist who has a PhD or PsyD and is qualified to perform assessments and actually does testing on a regular basis. You might check with the disability services office at your local college/university to see if they have any recommendations.

You might have to save money. Be sure to tell them that you have medicaid and that testing probably isn't covered by your insurance. They probably have some kind of a self-pay discount/cash price for people who are paying out of pocket. It's still not going to be cheap, though.

I'm wondering what you would hope to get out of an assessment. Is it to rule in/out ADD? How would things change if someone said you met diagnostic criteria and testing criteria?

I'm just trying to see if it is what is wrong with me. I have been treated for depression and anxiety since I was about 14 and nothing has ever helped me. I've been on tons of medications and I am still in therapy but I do not feel that I am getting anywhere. I feel like if I can get more of a feel of what might be wrong then i can be more prepared to face it and deal with it. I know I am no medical expert or anything but I am tired of being treated for something I don't feel I have a problem with. I recently started back taking college courses and this is my last time before I am denied financial aid. If I don't find out more about things and rule certain things out then I am afraid it will be like the last few times and I will mess up again so in that aspect I think having a diagnosis ruled in or out would at least get me somewhere.

I saw a list of adult AD/HD support groups on the ADDA website and thought of you, LunaRegina.  I don't know if either of the groups in Tennessee are near to you, but you might try going to one to see if someone there has suggestions as to affordable local diagnostic resources.  Just a thought!  http://031df74.netsolhost.com/Downloads/States.pdf

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to the doctor today and he asked me a few questions about school and ended up putting me on Ritalin. He said it would help with my focus and concentration so I'm hoping to get good results. Thanks again to everyone for helping me.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

So it's been a while since my last update, and I come bearing a new dilemma and am looking for some advice.

As I stated back in January, I was put on Ritalin 10mg two times a day. I like the result of the medication but it only lasted about 1 hour to 1 hour and 1/2. I stopped taking it but when it was time to refill I was told by the pharmacist that they had a new generic form and I decided to try it. It worked a bit better but still not worth only having about 2 hours (if I was lucky) of clarity and then an entire day of feeling like I had ran a marathon whilst simultaneously having my head opened up and my brain stirred a few times. So I quit taking it and am now awaiting an appointment with my dr again on the 18th of this month. I even stopped my Wellbutrin because it seemed like it was making me more scatterbrained and artificially stimulated in a bad way. Currently I only take an otc supplement and I'm just waiting for my dr appointment. I'm not getting my hopes up because I feel like at this point nothing is going to work as far as medication goes but I'm willing to try.

Does anyone have any idea why the Ritalin wears off so quickly for me? I really wanted it to work and it is such a disappointment when it doesn't.

Thanks in advance ^_^