CrazyBoards.org

I've been recently diagnosed schizoaffective but I tell people I'm bipolar because that's what I was diagnosed with that before schizoaffective and people know more about it and I feel it's more acceptable than schizoaffective, because honestly I wasn't really ashamed when I was diagnosed bipolar because so many people have it but I do feel embarrassed about being schizoaffective because it makes me sound crazier.

Edited by YKantLaurenRead

I would rather say that I have and illness that nobody knows than saying I have an illness that people know about.

If people don´t know what is being Schizoaffective then you won´t sound crazier.

You could try saying one and the other to see people´s reaction and then choose

I just don't tell anybody who doesn't need to know anymore.....It's easier that way.....And, puts your mind at ease from stigma.....Now a therapist is good. My doctor doesn't even like to say labels because of the fact that it can make a person feel smaller than everyone else......He would rather just treat the symptoms.

I really wouldn't want the neighborhood to know.  I already get paranoid enough about being seen.  It's the sort of thing where hiding from the world seems safer.  People really don't understand and never will.  It doesn't help at a job either.  People just chop it up as your crazy and hate you for that or think you need Jesus.