CrazyBoards.org

Co-morbid/co-occurring with BPD

Just wondering here who has what with their BPD diagnosis?

I have Bipolar 2 and anxiety plus EDNOS.

The hardest of all is the bipolar. That and the BPD are quiet separate but the BPD makes me unable to deal with my unstable moods. At the moment I've just come down from a hypomanic episode and externally my life is not far short from 'perfect' as in no relationship issues, income ok, living arrangements ok etc etc. But because my moods cycle SO quick I constantly feel suicidal :(

I just don't know what to do anymore :(

I've had an "official" BPD diagnosis since last year. I also have BP1 and social anxiety. I understand how you feel :/. Sometimes it just seems so complicated and overwhelming that I just want to say fuck it. Like, my BP1 moods are mostly controlled at this point (though apparently not as controlled as I thought), but I still have such ridiculously out of proportion emotional reactions to everything. I feel overwhelmed almost constantly and I would give anything to be able to just completely numb myself to everything. Still struggle with daily thoughts of SI and substance abuse. Therapy feels pointless. 

I wish I had something to say that could help or make you feel better :(. But, you aren't alone in this. 

I have BPD (probably, or CPTSD, or whatever the fuck emotional intensity cluster B axis II bullshit they come up with) and it blows.  I also have fibromyalgia, Seasonal Affective Disorder (basically I get super suicidal depressed every winter) and insane anxiety.

I'm building an amazing life; I have an overabundance of love and joy mixed with the occasional bad decision.  I have a lot of overwhelm and a lot of proud right now, but it's better and subtly different every day.  I haven't been seriously suicidal since 2008.

(((hugs))) to everyone battling :(

My BPD is quite vastly different from Bipolar and affects me quite differently but managing both is shitful as in some aspects sometimes it is a little blurred between the two.

Thank you for you kinds, supporting words Hagar Running x

I have BPD (probably, or CPTSD, or whatever the fuck emotional intensity cluster B axis II bullshit they come up with) and it blows.  I also have fibromyalgia, Seasonal Affective Disorder (basically I get super suicidal depressed every winter) and insane anxiety.

I'm building an amazing life; I have an overabundance of love and joy mixed with the occasional bad decision.  I have a lot of overwhelm and a lot of proud right now, but it's better and subtly different every day.  I haven't been seriously suicidal since 2008.

I hope this goes away for you. It's really not a nice long term thing to have sticking around. I can very much relate to that. And the SAD- in the sense my Depressions always seem to be worse and longer lasting in the Winter :(

It's debatable whether I have BPD or not (diagnosed with it, but other professionals disagree - but I definitely have features of it), but I am also diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, major depressive disorder, PTSD, and fibromyalgia.

I have traits of BPD according to one pdoc, and outright BPD according to another. I also have bipolar I, Asperger's, and anorexia nervosa. The impulsivity from the BPD and bipolar disorder makes me prone to ever more fucked eating habits. As for the combination of BPD and Aspie's, well, I'd like to have a tattoo on my face reading, "please do not befriend me; I will be awful".

I haven't been seriously suicidal since 2008.

I hope this goes away for you. It's really not a nice long term thing to have sticking around. I can very much relate to that. And the SAD- in the sense my Depressions always seem to be worse and longer lasting in the Winter :(

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear -- I have NOT been suicidal, as in, I have not made any suicide attempts since 2008.

I have traits of BPD according to one pdoc, and outright BPD according to another. I also have bipolar I, Asperger's, and anorexia nervosa. The impulsivity from the BPD and bipolar disorder makes me prone to ever more fucked eating habits. As for the combination of BPD and Aspie's, well, I'd like to have a tattoo on my face reading, "please do not befriend me; I will be awful".

Hey hun- I am sure you're not an awful friend. I am sure you are a lovely person living through an awful (well several) awful illnesses that cruelly warp reality and make things harder. THEY don't define YOU though. You as a person- are just fine I bet xxx

I haven't been seriously suicidal since 2008.

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear -- I have NOT been suicidal, as in, I have not made any suicide attempts since 2008.

I am glad to hear that lovely! It isn't a nice feeling at all- so I am very glad for you that the overwhelm has decided to give you a little bit of a break for a few years. And I think you're very brave to be fighting it this much :) xxx

It's debatable whether I have BPD or not (diagnosed with it, but other professionals disagree - but I definitely have features of it), but I am also diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, major depressive disorder, PTSD, and fibromyalgia.

I think it can be quite hard to ascertain a definitive diagnosis sometimes. I know for me I can go from meeting 5-3 criteria within a few weeks. It's always the same 3 I am stuck with and they unkindly like to be quite severe in the negative impact on my life... but it just seems like a PITA of a disorder in general. I would say for myself, I have the TRAITS moreso, as it's the constant 3 that bother me.

I am sorry you are dealing with so much. Here is some cyber (((hugs))) that I hope will brighten your day xxx

Thank you, much appreciated. Hugs back to you. :)

What bothers me about it is I was open about the diagnosis on another forum and recently a couple of people started trying to use that to discredit me. Like, that's a thing people who know fall back on, to use it against me. The diagnosis has prompted more drama against me than I've ever legitimately caused, it seems like.

Also, the symptoms that do fit are not fun in the least. They could be ADHD and autism and depression instead of BPD but whatever the source, they really suck.

Mmmmm- the unfortunate and cruel stigma

attached to BPD is awful and unfair!

I have had my share of that too- and it was from medical professionals! GO FIGURE?! :/

I'm sure it wasn't you who caused any drama- some people just like to pick! Sorry they're being &ick$!

The symptoms are just evil! All of them, BPD or not! You've certainly got a lot to deal with- you're very brave x

Ah, it's not bravery. It's desperation. :)

I really don't have a reputation for causing drama, except from a few people because I respond poorly to bullies and abusers, even online.

I've read a lot of stuff about how medical professionals treat people - esp. women - diagnosed with BPD. It's ridiculous, really. I mean hearing one tell me that no one who has BPD is genuinely suicidal, that they just attempt it for attention? Like what the hell. I'm sorry you've had to deal with crap from professionals.

Ah, it's not bravery. It's desperation. :)

I really don't have a reputation for causing drama, except from a few people because I respond poorly to bullies and abusers, even online.

I've read a lot of stuff about how medical professionals treat people - esp. women - diagnosed with BPD. It's ridiculous, really. I mean hearing one tell me that no one who has BPD is genuinely suicidal, that they just attempt it for attention? Like what the hell. I'm sorry you've had to deal with crap from professionals.

Bravery, desperation- either way I say good on you :) I don't mean that in a patronizing way either. I mean I think it is admirable what you're handling each day;

and good on you for standing up for yourself too!!! :)

Yup- I was told the same thing, right after an attempt. :unsure:  I have met and conversed with SO MANY condescending and patronizing professionals it isn't even funny! :wall:

I am very lucky and blessed to have my current psychiatrist and a handful of wonderful psych nurses on my treatment team currently that are wonderful! :closedeyes:

I pointed out that people with BPD have a really high successful suicide rate and this was not consistent with "doing it for attention" but her response was that they messed up and went too far. Like how much rationalization is necessary here? Like no one's making weird crap like that up about people with bipolar or schizophrenia or major depression, or anything else associated with suicide.

I'm glad you have respectful professionals helping you now.

And I mean this is a thing she was taught in a university.

A lot of the stuff related to mental illness, developmental disability, etc. taught in some universities seems downright backward. But then it gets carried out into the workplace where it impacts people who have these diagnoses.

What, what?!?!? :blink:

She was educated that BPD's only attepmpt/commit suicide for attention by a university?!?!?!? DA FUQ with that... :angry:

Impacts yes- it took me 9 years away from Mental Health and psychiatric services. All the while, unbeknown to me I had Bipolar and was being treated for MDD which has made the BP worse.... GAH :angry:

Along with my BPD I'm Bipolar I, have ADHD and I've recently had Generalized Anxiety thrown in too, and my IOP therapist implied I might have PTSD by suggesting a therapist for outpatient and making sure to point out that the new therapist specializes in trauma. Bipolar sometimes makes it hard to distinguish the mood swings from BPD. But the other day I dropped my lunch and wanted to harm myself, screamed very loudly, and told my fiance I wanted to kill myself. That was obviously my BPD (to me at least).