CrazyBoards.org

Internal VS External Hallucinations.

The common gray area around whether internal hallucinations should be called hallucinations or not apparently has an answer.

According to the Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudohallucination

The proper term for hallucinations that happen inside the head are apparently called pseudohallucinations.

This is just a bit of info I thought should be stated as it seems nobody knew what to call it. Now we know.

I don't necessarily put a lot of faith in Wikipedia. Can't anyone write an article for them? I have both internal and external auditory hallucinations and to me they are both technically a hallucination. It states in the article that people with internal hallucinations usually know they are not real. I've had internal voices that I thought were very real and continue to have those. Most pdocs consider both types a hallucination and consider them both a part of psychosis.

I also have both internal and external hallucinations, and before medication I thought of them BOTH as real.  My pdoc has never mentioned pseudohallucinations , but maybe there is something out there called that. 

The article also said that pseudohallucinations are commonly caused by a hallucinogenic drug.  Both kinds of hallucinations for me were not caused by any meds.  I had them before I started on meds.

Yea, the Wikipedia article I posted wasn't the first time I saw the term pseudohallucination, I was unable to find the first reference I saw so I posted that. The first reference I saw of it put the difference in a very simple way. It said something like this:

• Hallucinations are a non-controllable external stimulus.

• Pseudohallucinations are a non-controllable internal stimulus.

The thing is, with SZ, NOTHING seems to be immune to delusions. And the Wikipedia topic doesn't really explain what the traits of a SZ pseudohallucination would be.

The important part about this is that the internal hallucinations have a name.

wow... this is really interesting for me.

I was in hospital last year, experiencing STRONG internal voices. His name is slasher. But I was told by all the nurses that it wasn't psychosis. I could hear  him often and at times sense the presence. It was FREAKISH and had been going on for months :( He even woke me up in the middle of one night yelling at me because I had been talking to the staff about him... gah :(

But it's inetresting seeing people here with SZ diagnosis saying you have internal ones as well?

I know I don't have SZ (I have bipolar) so I wonder what to make of this?

Edited by miss-e

wow... this is really interesting for me.

I was in hospital last year, experiencing STRONG internal voices. His name is slasher. But I was told by all the nurses that it wasn't psychosis. I could hear  him often and at times sense the presence. It was FREAKISH and had been going on for months :( He even woke me up in the middle of one night yelling at me because I had been talking to the staff about him... gah :(

But it's inetresting seeing people here with SZ diagnosis saying you have internal ones as well?

I know I don't have SZ (I have bipolar) so I wonder what to make of this?

I have bipolar too and have voices internally.  When I asked the pdoc about it she said it "didn't matter unless you can hear it".  My tdoc and I aren't really sure what we think about that since I have no control over the voices.  Which is a freaking crowd and who the hell knows who is saying what in there.  Everybody shouting at once is what drove me to see the tdoc for the first time and I'd never been to a psych doc or tdoc ever or even entertained the idea.  

I know I had a point in that ramble.  I just don't know what it was.