CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
radicalfeminist

how did you figure out what you want to do with your life?

I always thought I should know what I want to do with my life but finally realized I was doing it all along.  Going forward, one step at a time, making the best decisions I can, doing the best I am able. And for the first time ever in my longish life I have the time and income to spend a few days a week just painting. That is wonderful.

edit: I figured out that doing what I love to do is ok.

Edited by water

It just came to me. After experiencing depression and crippling anxiety during my first years of college and finally finding doctors and therapists that helped me get better, I decided that I wanted to be a therapist to help people who were in similar situations. I think I want to be a counselor at a university and work with college students... or at least young people because that is such a pivotal time in life.

I am typically kind of quiet and like to listen to people, too. :) 

I knew what I wanted to study since elementary school because of people whom I respected and admired so much.

It fell together in bits and pieces over time.  I started out studying social work, then changed tracks (for a stupid, juvenile reason) and wound up with two bachelor's degrees in clinical psychology, organisational psychology and philosophy.  During that period I earned money as a tutor and teaching assistant (when I discovered a love for teaching at that level).  

I took a break from studying to work and travel overseas (my very manic and unhealthy twenties), and along the way got sidetracked into assisting on some higher education policy research projects. I turned out to have a talent for the work, and wound up doing my master's in higher education planning and social policy. Right now I'm working in academic planning at a university, and pursuing my PhD in higher education policy so that I can fulfil my dream of lecturing full time.  

All that happened over many years (I'm now 41), in between and around all my MI chaos.  I can say with confidence that though I don't regret the early educational path I took, I am a radically different person now with greater self understanding because of the lessons I learned along the way.  I wish I could say that there was a magical one-size-fits-all solution to the question "what should I do with my life?", but it's such an individual thing, and (without meaning to sound trite) everyone's journey is unique.

As a kid, I thought about writing, architecture, teaching.  In college, I started out as a communication major, got bored and added business my junior year on a whim.  I did marketing for an engineering firm for a while, thought about going back to school to be a child psychologist, even took a few classes.  Then moved.  Got married, had children and stayed home a while.  

The child psychology courses came in handy.  Went back to work in marketing but for a financial services firm.  Moved into sales as a commission based financial advisor.  This was horrible.  I am now a fee-based financial planner and advisor, and I love it - I get to help people one on one, but no performance pressure to make a sale.  

I sort of fell into each part of my career, really, and took a mirandering (SP?) path.  Never in a million years would I have predicted in high school that I'd be doing what I'm doing now.

I still want to write, and have a few stories in my head that I just can't seem to get on paper.  When I have some free time, in between working, taking care of husband and kids, volunteering, etc. 

Edited by Odetta

I kinda always knew from being a young child and watching court drama. So that was all I wanted to do. This is the carer path which I have chosen.

Some people just know others take a little longer. I would say do what you love

It took me several years - and several college major changes - to define what I wanted to pursue.

I have always loved the arts since I was a child, but as I got older other interests seemed to make a significant change in the kinds of art I wished to dedicate my career to; e.g. electronics (lighting & sound design), music (production, writing). After changing my college major 4 times, I finally decided to listen to the other half of my calling and work with people (predominantly children) who are suffering from anxiety & developmental disorders as an Art Therapist,

I had a psychosis.....Than a revelation that I was called to preach......I'm going to get my GED and get the ball rolling when I get out of here.....Growing up I never really had a desire or drive to be anything.....And girlfriends always kept my mind distracted so I dropped out of school. Today I just focus on trying to be a better person everyday.....I'm no where near perfect but I do love.....

I first went to college thinking I knew what field I wanted to focus my studies on, but then I found I didn't really enjoy it like I thought I would. So I just started taking 100-levels of any subject that interested me, and eventually I took one that left me wanting to take more and more. I switched my major and finally felt like I was in the right department for me. I suppose I lucked out. 

What I want to do with my education and with my life though? Still no fucking clue. Not sure I will ever know that, at least probably not before it's too late. 

Knowing what you want to study and actually working in the field are two different things. As I mentioned above, I knew what I wanted to do at a young age ("felt it in my bones"), but so far turning it into a lucrative career has evaded me. Add in my MI and all I have is frustration.

I don't think that there is a definite. I had a job that I really liked, and I've applied to go back to school to change into a completely different career. But there was no hallelujah moment of "I want that!" It's more of a "what can I live with? What can I see myself doing?"

I can't be anything but a painter. I've always known that on some level. I denied it, but I ended up at art school after 5 years of floundering in other areas. My mother, who was also an artist, said "HA! I knew it!" when I told her I was enrolled for fine arts. Rub it in willya...

I'd always wanted to study hardcore biology but when I finally got to the good stuff, I kind of fell apart and I have no desire to go back to what I originally wanted to do with my life. Goodbye, noble prize (jk).

hum, a BA in English, MFA in Creative Writing, PhD in English, and an MS in Computer Science and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up  :unsure: It's having spent most of my life in school that has allowed me to make it this far in life in terms of my MI, so I guess it did serve some purpose :P

Edited by IsabelleStPierre

For University i just picked something i enjoyed at School and i did ok at, which was Sociology.

It's ok at 18 not to know what you want to do with your life and very common. I didn't think practically in terms of a job in the future, i should have picked Social Work. But i enjoyed my subject and it go me through the 3 year degree course (it's 3 not 4 years in the UK and we don't have to do anything other than our chosen subject). even when my MI got bad, i loved my subject.

I still don't 100% know what i want to do at 26, all i know is that i have worked in retail and it's not for me.

I wanted to do a Masters in politics and a PHD in some kind of sociological research project, but i

just don't have the money.

My aim at the moment is to be stable and happy and get the relevant experience to do an MA in Social Work,

if i get employed in that field i want to to a PHD.

I also tried work experience in a school and it wasn't for me, i think it's trial and error, try something you

might be interested in and see if it's for you.

Edited by neptunesky

I'm still in the last year of my BA but I have a PhD lined up for next year. I've always been a big science nerd and I got into reading popular science books when I was about 10. The only question was which science I'd choose.

I've loved studying biology as an undergrad. I can get paid to keep on doing it, so why not? I don't know if I'll go in to research after the PhD but the time I spend doing it will be fun. Or at least, what I consider to be fun. ;)

I am 19 years old and am nowhere near knowing what I want to exactly do with my life. Perhaps teach? I want to inspire youth. I want to teach people and then by doing that, have them teach me. I never want to stop learning because I feel like you stop living when you stop learning. What better place to learn than in a school? I laugh because although I say that, I didn't learn much, content wise, in elementary to high school. What I remember most is how I was treated by students and teachers and what, because of such treatment, I learned from that. I want to continue in the legacy of every teacher I've ever had. I got lucky. I want to pay it forward.

I used to want to be a theatrical designer before learning that people in the business are generally masochistic - they, we, me - loved pain! Everyone is treated like shit, but - they, we, me - continue because that is what we love to do. Right? Did I love it? Did I really? After being a part of almost forty productions, I realized that I couldn't do what I was doing anymore because life is too short for others to facilitate the hate I had for myself. What others called abuse, I called my life. And I was talented. I had drive. I was the "best", but I still wasn't good enough. It's a good thing I realized what I am saying before I was too far into the B.A. Theatre Design track. 

I still love theatre. I love to teach. Maybe I'll teach theatre. Maybe that'll be a thing. Maybe I'll change my mind because that is also a thing nineteen year olds do. I don't have my life figured out right now and maybe I never will, but that is perfectly okay because in the meantime, I am trying to help myself by helping others.

Edited by Cadenza

Trial and error, and self-work.

At the end of high school I decided I wanted to be a social worker/psychologist. I went to school, got my associates degree, and did my self-work (therapy). It was during that work that I realized I couldn't take on helping other people like that-I wasn't mentally healthy myself. So I took some time off, raised my kids (still raising) and decided that I could be a nurse. It's a way I can help people and I've always loved the medical field. So that's what I'm going to school for now.