CrazyBoards.org

I'm trying to find someone that can help me understand BPD....I think I have it but not quite sure if I do and don't really want to be diagnosed right now. But I have these symptoms...marked mood swings with periods of intense depression mood; irritability and/or anxiety lasting a few hours to a few days, inappropriate, intense or uncontrollable anger; recurring suicidal threats of non-suicidal self-injurious behavior; unstable, intense personal relationships; and chronic boredom or feelings of emptiness. Thanks

No one here can diagnose you. If your symptoms are concerning you then you should mention them to a care provider that you feel comfortable bringing them up with.

What is it about that idea that you're not okay with right now? 

I don't think there's ever really a "good time" to be diagnosed. 

I agree with rosie. The best person to help you understand it is a mental health professional. All the information on the internet didn't really help me get it until I had in depth discussions with my mental health care providers. 

Being diagnosed with it is certainly a mixed bag for me, especially when dealing with people who take it to mean a particular thing (that I am manipulative and deceitful, which is apparently what a lot of people think BPD means). 

Like from the brief for the current stage of my attempt to get SSI:

Thus, although assessing credibility for someone with Borderline Personality Disorder may be inherently absurd, since overstatement and histrionics might be part of the pathology, Plaintiff's psychologists and mental health treatment providers established her credibility to at least a degree of her self-reporting, and with that credence given, established disability due to inability to maintain appropriate behavior in a work setting, maintain social functioning in a work setting, and to sustain regular 8 hour days and 40 hour weeks.

And I mean, he's saying that my self assessments are correct, but still has to point out that the diagnosis itself sabotages my credibility - I mean, in this case he does so to indicate that the professionals who have treated me corroborate with my own self-reports, and thus that they are credible. But the fact that having this label implicitly undercuts my credibility is frustrating, and is one of many reasons why one might not want an official diagnosis.

Only a professional can diagnose you with BPD, but for me, it took a lot of research on my part to admit the symptoms to my providers. It's still hard sometimes to get professionals to admit that I have it, but in more recent years, I've had more pdocs say to me that I do have it, but I think they don't put it down on paper because of insurance reasons maybe.

What is making you hesitant to become diagnosed at this time? If it is stigma of the label, don't let that scare you. The most important thing about being treated for MI is to manage your symptoms, not your technical diagnosis. I was hung up on my labels for a long time in the opposite way, I was angry that nobody would agree with me that I had BPD and on and on and on I would go getting upset. But what was actually important was that my symptoms were treated, and eventually, my diagnosis was confirmed. I'm also not trying to say that diagnosis is not important, because it certainly is helpful for professionals to understand what is actually going on.

I hope you can get some clarity on what is going on, do you have a psychiatrist or therapist at this time to help you?

Thanks everyone. I don't want to get diagnosed right now because my family thinks it's funny to make fun of me because I'm not like them and have had a difficult life when none of them had one. I have a doctor I trust she just wants to take me off my ADD medicine when I'd rather not be taken off right now since I'm trying to stay in college. After reading all the replies next time I have a doctor appointment I will bring it up so I don't have to worry about it any longer than I already have. Thanks again everyone