CrazyBoards.org

how long should I give wellbutrin for it to work?

For me it was like a switch was flipped at the "right" dose for me.  I didn't feel much of anything until I hit that dose.  I hope it works for you soon!

Edit: I'll be taking Wellbutrin again once I have titrated to a higher dose of Lamictal.

Edited by shesellsseashells

i know its too soon being that it is my second day, but i havent had much luck with antidepressants as you can tell from my signature, and from what i gather people feel effects within the first few days. i want to know ASAP whether its going to do anything for me. 

Not everyone feels the effects in the first days.  For some people it takes much longer. Everyone is different. We have our own unique chemistry.

Wellbutrin has a reputation, for some people (including me) of having an initial 'honeymoon' period. Within a week or so you feel better and more energised (I did.) Then after about a week, you slump back down again. Then after 2-3 weeks, the effect comes back again, if it is going to work. I was on 150mg SR 2xday.

For some people only, mind. But it's worth keeping in mind if you do have that early effect and then a slump.

• Like 1

i know its too soon being that it is my second day, but i havent had much luck with antidepressants as you can tell from my signature, and from what i gather people feel effects within the first few days. i want to know ASAP whether its going to do anything for me. 

Not everyone feels the effects in the first days.  For some people it takes much longer. Everyone is different. We have our own unique chemistry.

^THIS.

ok. thanks for the response everyone. i have another question. is the change you feel with wellbutrin, would you say, fast or slow?

Somebody already answered this when you asked the first time. 

Nobody can tell you whether is will be fast or slow for you.  And it doesn't really matter what it was like for the rest of us because some have already said fast and some have said slow.  And some will say what one person already mentioned about a honeymoon period.  The only way to find out if, when, and how it will work for you is to just try it.

Personally, I've tried 2 different formulations (SR and XL) each at 2-3 different dosages for extended periods of time (100, 200, 300mg on SR, 150, 300mg on XL) and from 2 different manufacturers (it can make a difference) of generic wellbutrin.  Sometimes this was in combination with other meds, sometimes just the WB alone.  This has been over the course of 6-7 years.

This med has never horribly sucked for me, but most of the time its not done quite enough either, hence the extensive trial and error with it.  But the only way to tell if its right for me is to either keep taking it, add something to it, or replace it with something else in consultation with my doctors.  Within that 6-7 year period since starting WB, I've tried going totally no-meds 3 times (with doc OK 2 of those times).  It generally got pretty ugly within about 6 months.  Even on WB, I'm not depression-free, but it doesn't seem to be quite as frequent or severe.  So that's how we've arrived at the educated guess that its doing *something*, but probably not quite enough.  My current doc is working with me on new combinations of WB + ______ that I had not tried yet.

Just be observant of any changes in yourself (but try not to be overly obsessive about it), do *some* homework reading about the med so you have basic background info (again, try not to obsess), then report back to your doc and see what he/she says about any of your relevant experiences while on the med.  It takes time to do those things.  But they will be more accurate to your situation than making wild guesses based too heavily on other peoples' experiences.  You already have several meds listed and mentioned past failed meds.  Unfortunately, trying the WB for the first time is just more of the same trial and error process.

Edited by CirclesOfConfusion