CrazyBoards.org

When i was younger i was raised in a very spiritual household... i was raised where you believed negative spirits exist and only negative spirits...maybe this belief system was the stressor/catalyst that help create my psychosis to what it is. I got very much into the spiritualist community..you know meditation connecting to guides , angels, energy healing, etc. I was psychotic during this time i been having psychosis since 7th grade and i am now 20. So, about 7/8 years. And during that time i have been in long periods of psychotic episodes... and when i came out i was a fool to what happen the longest i was lucid for was a month or even 2 months where i had no psychosis at all... just freaking peace. Recently maybe 8/9 months ago i came to a realization... this isn't something spiritual this isn't what a same spiritual mind is like. When i looked at people around me that i knew who were spiritualist they might have run into negative and positive spiritual experience but the constant outcome was that they came to a realization they came to some kind of truth about their surrounding/situation/person. What my constant outcome was paranoia and chaos. Anyway i made this chart i hope i don't come off cocky but this has helped me a lot personally.

anyway how you use the chat.. say you have a hallucination that some woman was telling you some advice like "you can't trust that person their gonna hurt you"... so the choices you have is "positive or negative presence/hallucination"....I would say Negative...then you ask yourself when you respectfully and logically explore if this person could be trust... "truth" in what the hallucination said or "paranoia/chaos" did this just cause anxiety. problems for you and was false. Let's choose the latter, most likely it was a hallucination...but some believe that it could be a negative spirit from what i view from my observation of those that take on this spiritualist view that it's hardly ever that, but that's for you to figure out. 

I feel this chart is best if you trying out this "hearing voice movement" - http://www.hearing-voices.org/voices-visions/personal-experiences/  or if you are trying to figure out is just a spiritual experience from your past and what is psychotic when your piecing together your past that psychosis i feel could robbed you of.

-This is to help anyone who is piecing together their past experience and are still very spiritual. I personally cannot get too deep into spirituality or religion anymore because it can help quicken up the process of me entering a major psychotic episodes, BUT for anyone who is still searching for faith while having this disorder will help them not loose faith. And we get a few who ask was this past experience something spiritual or not and i feel this chart could help them. So i am not here to push any religious faith on anyone... it's just here to help others piece their past together like it has helped me so far. -

spiritual-or-psychosis.png?w=950&h=501

Edited by CherryBlossom

It depends on your orientation. I don't believe in spiritual encounters, so in all cases, stuff like that to me is a symptom of psychosis.

From my past, I also have learnt that, for me, spiritual ideas are unhelpful as they take me away from the reality that I am suffering psychosis.

I'm going to have to agree with others in that a belief in the supernatural is a sign that I'm not stable. I've had a number of discussions with different doctors over the years about a similar topic; ghosts. For as long as I can remember I have seen, talked with, and interacted with ghosts, but I never thought of it as being psychotic since I believe in ghosts. It's taken me a very long time to accept that I'm psychotic, delusions can be hard to overcome, but...I have to agree now that a belief in the supernatural is a sign that I'm not stable.

This is to help anyone who is piecing together their past experience and are still very spiritual. I personally cannot get too deep into spirituality or religion anymore because it can help quicken up the process of me entering a major psychotic episodes, BUT for anyone who is still searching for faith while having this disorder will help them not loose faith. And we get a few who ask was this past experience something spiritual or not and i feel this chart could help them. So i am not here to push any religious faith on anyone... it's just here to help others piece their past together like it has helped me so far. 

I am agreeing with all of the above posters.

Holy moly- my so called "spiritual" experience thwarted my whole aspect on life for a good 4-6 weeks and then took a few more weeks for my brain to go back to my "normal" world view. CHAOS is the most ideal explination for my mind and life at that point (I can see now)

But the problem is, on some level I still have to question it as it was all so real. idk what to think anymore :/

If it happened again I would be runnin to my pdoc. Well I'd like to think I would- bit the worst part of it was I "knew" I shouldn't. My guides said so.

Ehhhh :(

For many years I asked myself the same question: spiritual encounter or psychosis?....since my psychosis started after a spiritual practice.

Actually for the first 6 months it never crossed my mind that it could be MI. I just thought I was possessed. And was getting help from priests.

Until someone send me to the pdoc, was medicated and my symptoms diminished. For a long time, even thought medicines helped, I still believed it was a spiritual thing, since what triggered it was spiritual.

Right now, I don´t really mind, what really causes it, as long as my symptoms are treated and I have quality of life.

By reading your story, something caught my attention. You mentioned you and other people did spiritual practices but you were the one who experienced psychosis. It made me realize that actually we have some illness, triggered by whatever (spiritual, stress, hormones). Maybe if we were really strong, mentally healthy we wouldn´t get psychosis by doing spiritual practices?

I get my spirituality from yoga, nature and relationships. Not psychosis. All that brings is a false veil of spirituality. Unless you believe in and practice shamanistic healing I don't think there is a strong reason to encourage a connection between the two. I've had religious delusions but they never made me feel spiritual or if they did it was false, hallow and short-lived. I prefer to engage with and create a connectedness with the universe is meaningful and lasting.

For many years I asked myself the same question: spiritual encounter or psychosis?....since my psychosis started after a spiritual practice.

Actually for the first 6 months it never crossed my mind that it could be MI. I just thought I was possessed. And was getting help from priests.

Until someone send me to the pdoc, was medicated and my symptoms diminished. For a long time, even thought medicines helped, I still believed it was a spiritual thing, since what triggered it was spiritual.

Right now, I don´t really mind, what really causes it, as long as my symptoms are treated and I have quality of life.

By reading your story, something caught my attention. You mentioned you and other people did spiritual practices but you were the one who experienced psychosis. It made me realize that actually we have some illness, triggered by whatever (spiritual, stress, hormones). Maybe if we were really strong, mentally healthy we wouldn´t get psychosis by doing spiritual practices?

Thank you for reading my post... yes i agree.. out of all my psychosis over the last 8 years i can only identify 2 as actually spiritual with this chart. I think if i didn't have the (what's the word...) [idk] likelihood to get psychosis... i could practice different spirituality...I think you have to have a sane strong mind to really get deep into your spirituality.. because if not it could engulf us.. and just lead to chaos and confusion. Like i said in the post... what really made me realize once i was out of my psychosis that this was all psychosis was what was the end result.. and the end result was just PURE chaos and paranoia. So this chart has really helped me understand and put to rest all this questioning of if it was real or not.  Because other people i know who have the same spirituality didn't have the outcome i had and why was that? because they knew where to draw the lie in their spirituality.. and was present enough to know what was an actual spiritual thing and what was just a bizarre thought.

I get my spirituality from yoga, nature and relationships. Not psychosis. All that brings is a false veil of spirituality. Unless you believe in and practice shamanistic healing I don't think there is a strong reason to encourage a connection between the two. I've had religious delusions but they never made me feel spiritual or if they did it was false, hallow and short-lived. I prefer to engage with and create a connectedness with the universe is meaningful and lasting.

Thank you for reading my post.... "All that brings is a false veil of spirituality" this is so true... and i had to learn to realize that.... and i felt this chart helped me. So now i can still be spiritual and learn to drawn the line between my illness & my spirituality.

I am agreeing with all of the above posters.

Holy moly- my so called "spiritual" experience thwarted my whole aspect on life for a good 4-6 weeks and then took a few more weeks for my brain to go back to my "normal" world view. CHAOS is the most ideal explination for my mind and life at that point (I can see now)

But the problem is, on some level I still have to question it as it was all so real. idk what to think anymore :/

If it happened again I would be runnin to my pdoc. Well I'd like to think I would- bit the worst part of it was I "knew" I shouldn't. My guides said so.

Ehhhh :(

Thank you for reading my post.... yes makes sense.. and this chart is only hear to help us piece together our past and not loose our faith in whatever we believe in... if that makes sense? I am a very spiritual person and i had to really sit down and figure out what was just spiritual and what wasn't or i felt i would loose my faith. So i am not here to be like "maybe your psychosis was spiritual". I just put this here for those who want to keep their faith but understand their past.. and i felt this chart helped me with that goal.