CrazyBoards.org

Manic Depression vs Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Also OCPD)

Many people don't realize that many times mental heath professionals can have a difficult time diagnosing patients because their symptoms can "mimic" each disorder (bipolar disorder and ocd). I thought this was quite strange to read at first but know that I think of it my grandmother (she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder) showed many symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. She never had compulsions, only obsessions. So I have this theory and I want to hear others responses to this subject as well... perhaps bipolar individuals create a kind of obsessive personality in order to create a sort of homeostasis of ones inner mind? Maybe the repetitive actions help create a more balanced mood because of the outward actions. I'm not sure...just thinking. Any thoughts regarding Bipolar and OCD??? :nerdy:

My pdoc says there is overlap between the disorders.  I'm dx'd BP/SZA and he says I have OCD, but he won't dx me with that because "psychiatrists have a fetish for diagnoses" (and I'm in Canada, we don't need dx for insurance purposes like I believe happens in the US).  He said there is overlap in how all three disorders present and that my OCD symptoms are a part of my BP/SZA, that it's all part of the same brain dysfunction (in me). 

Obsessions for me.  I have mild compulsions (checking doors/stove/saying the same thing in the same order to my husband before we go to sleep, and kissing him goodnight in a certain rhythm).  But definitely obsessions, I get a lot of intrusive thoughts. 

I also plan like nobody's business - sometimes I think I like planning things better than doing them - and my tdoc says that's OCD behaviour.  I guess that's compulsive?  I'm not sure. 

This is interesting to me because sometimes I've had some OCD symptoms myself, but not as much in recent years. When I was younger, I had horrible, horrible compulsive skin picking. And my bedroom back at my parents house still looks like the TV show "Hoarders", which is still a subset of OCD, if the DSM hasn't changed it. My therapist at my recent IOP stay did say that my Borderline Personality Disorder might be responsible for the hoarding though. And I think my ADD plays a roll in the extraordinary messiness as well. And I've had intrusive thoughts sometimes, too. All of this stuff really does overlap with several different diagnoses, the world of psychology is a murky place.

hmm I'm diagnosed with both of these. I think I have more ocd symptoms than bipolar, though. I've never 100% believed the bp diagnosis for myself. could just be denial, but I honestly just don't think it fits.....

anyway....

I have had some degree of ocd for my whole (remembered) life, but I also remember it (at least the compulsive side) as something I developed, almost on purpose, as a little kid in order to deal with feeling chronically overstimulated by the scary and chaotic world. it still serves very much the same purpose for me, really. I want to find an order to everything, including emotions, so that they make sense and then I can fix them. I want things to be visually and categorically ordered so they don't intrude into my mind.

my bipolar diagnosis also has to do with a pattern of over- and under- stimulation. ive had thought patterns that my tdoc has told me sounded delusional, but to me it seemed like the only way to make sense of things.

as far as the obsessive side of ocd....for me it's not exactly intrusive thoughts, so much as the constant feeling of bombardment by overstimulation, which I must then try to organize. also, the feeling of that "itch" where something just isn't right, which also needs to be repaired.

sorry, i dunno why every time I try to write a damn reply here, I end up with an essay...

Edited by starship_subaru

SS the feeling as the development of the OCD during childhood hood rings a bell in my mind... I have always had to have the things important to me treated perfectly (if that makes any sense at all). Maybe that would be considered a "delusion" as well. I'm surprised how many people have posted who are dx with bipolar who also have ocd  symptoms (and visevera). I appreciate the essay by the way. Whatever it takes to get those thoughts across!

I also have a dx of both OCD and BPII.  The OCD tends to be purely obsessional (intrusive thoughts, thinking the same thing over and over), although I do have some compulsions.  Right now, I'm in remission from both disorders, but I still tend to obsess.  Its been part of my life since I can remember.

I am not particularly stable today, blah.  Set off by lack of sleep for 2 weeks...  but today I'm a bit hypomanic.  Just a bit, not ragingly manic.  Yesterday I was pretty badly mixed.  But I'm thinking about your theory and today because I have my stuff together a little more, I can feel that I'm hypomanic, and it makes me anxious.  Will I say something I regret?  Spend money we don't have?  So, where to put all this energy?  Ah.  And so OCD rears it's head.  I organize, I clean, I obsess about the things I don't normally obsess about until I get into this state.  Ugh.  It's been a while but that's where I am today and it sheds light on your theory.