CrazyBoards.org

Tegratol v's S. valproate weight gain

Just wondering across the board of these two meds which would be the lesser of the evils?

I have noticed within a fortnight the Epilim has caused me an upset feeling and bloated ness in the stomach and increased my appetite- but u also intend to give it more time. I have also just started Lamotrigine.

I have Bipolar 2 and we are trying to stabilize my moods- I seem to cycle through very fast- while I can go months- I can also cycle at least fortnightly, sometimes more often as well.

I was on Tegretol (Carbamazepine) many years ago. I didn't gain any weight when I was on it. However it also did not help my mood. I was only on 600mg so maybe the dose wasn't high enough.

I was on Epilim (sodium valproate) for a few years and it was great for my mood. Felt much more calm and in control, helped me sleep, quashed my mania agitation and anxiety and overall was a great medication for me. My dose was 800mg - 1000mg. I did gain about 15 lbs on it, but that is not why I stopped taking it. I developed PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and was advised to stop it.

I currently take Lamictal (lamotrigine) 200mg which is helping, along with my other meds (see below) to keep my mood stable. And for me the bonus is that it has not caused me to gain weight

I take Tegretol, and I love it. I find that it is weight neutral. I didn't like Depakote (Epilim) at all because I wanted to eat anything that wasn't nailed down. Depakote also worsened my depression. Tegretol keeps me out of suicidal depressions and helps my mood tremendously. It is the backbone of my cocktail.

for me, tegretol (carbamazepine) was very weight-neutral. i did gain weight while i was on valproate, however. just my personal experience. valproate tends to work for more people than tegretol, but tegretol is the kind of thing that if it works for you, it really works. it really worked for me in times of manias. valproate too but not as well and with more side effects.

Ok thank you people :)

I am on 25mg lamictal as of a week tomorrow starting dose and 400mg Epilim. Epilim has been over a month now and my intake and good cravings are starting to scare me!

For some reason I had it in my head refractor was worse with weight?

Glad I have options

Oh my goodness- my spelling in the above post! Silly autocorrect on my iphone!

I am hoping as the lamictal is tritated up, we can tritate the valproate back down.

The lamictal is because I cannot take AD's but pdoc is worried it may not hold me from the "up's" hence having the both...

There are more options other than those, too. :) Good luck in finding one that works. Lamictal is a great med.

How do you find the haldol?

(sorry I saw this in your sig)

I also rapid cycle, often. My moods can last anywhere from a couple months to cycling within a few days. Sometimes even in 12hr.... hence the valproate

• 2 weeks later...