CrazyBoards.org

Benzos and muscle relaxant properties

Do you have to take benzos orally in order for their muscle relaxing properties to take effect or can you rub benzos into the site of the sore muscle like a balm to relax that muscle? I think they need to injected or taken orally but I just wanted to confirm.

Dermal: Diazepam is absorbed through the skin, however, this route of administration is not used clinically. --http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+3057

That's the only reference I found in 5 pages of google search results.

No, melissa... from what I understand, it is physiologically possible for diazepam to be absorbed by the skin, but that option is NOT used. Oral (swallowing it), sublingual (dissolving it under the tongue) and intramuscular (shot into the muscle) are the routes that are used.

No, melissa... from what I understand, it is physiologically possible for diazepam to be absorbed by the skin, but that option is NOT used. Oral (swallowing it), sublingual (dissolving it under the tongue) and intramuscular (shot into the muscle) are the routes that are used.

Oh, ok, thanks.  That makes sense.

Edited by melissaw72

Transdermal things are normally stuff that is rough on the liver to process.   For example Sex Hormones are mostly injections or patches.  The pill for of testosterone is no longer used.   Under the tongue seems to bypass the liver also.