CrazyBoards.org

Do you guys space out often? I'm trying to figure out if its a schizophrenia thing. I'll usually be ok most of the day but sometimes go through a small period of time where I can't concentrate and space out. It's wierd. Like there's some internal brain activity or brain zap.

Edited by dnautics

I space out when over medicated, changes are made to my meds, and lots of other times too. But I also have severe dissociation problems due to at least one of my other diagnosis'. As someone above asked, when you space out, are you losing chunks of time, or are you aware of time and able to focus on things around you? There are different types of spacing out...

Edited by IsabelleStPierre

Do you guys space out often? I'm trying to figure out if its a schizophrenia thing. I'll usually be ok most of the day but sometimes go through a small period of time where I can't concentrate and space out. It's wierd. Like there's some internal brain activity or brain zap.

Have you seen a neurologist? That could be a type of seizure.  Maybe not, but it is a possibility.

On bad cognition days I tend to lose track of conversations and my surroundings. It's like the sensory input slides over my brain without sinking in. I know the time passed, but I can't put anything in it.

Last year I used to space out all the time, I'd just be sat down and staring at a wall for like 10 minutes completely unaware I was doing anything odd until it was brought to my attention. It doesn't happen so much since I've been on abilify, but I still can't focus on anything, can barely look after myself really.

• 1 year later...

I space out if there are too many people talking at once, that's how my mind copes with it I guess. I've also spaced out for no particular reason for a longer period of time (10-15 minutes), but those around me never really noticed. You asked if it's a Schizophrenia thing, I can't say for certain..

I've been spacing out in the middle of conversations lately.  It appears like I am having a fluent conversation, but in my head I am missing bits and pieces ... fortunately I space in and out, so I can make comments as if I was not spaced out.  Then right after the conversation is over, I can hardly remember what we talked about.

It's been spacing out more and more until I got to the point there I realised I was ill, I find problems reading books because I just wonder off or don't take in what I'm reading, I have to backtrack regularly. Between medication and since the apparent psychosis settled in I do it more, I just sit down for a good thirty minutes staring into space, lost in think and I don't want to do anything. I guess it's a little upsetting for people to see me like this. I'm guessing it's partly to do with apathy, maybe.

I am constantly spacing out. It is really bad at work during a meeting. I have to try very hard to listen and focus. I did it the other day at my pdoc appointment as well. It is frustrating and really scary. I feel like I am deteriorating. Even the sentences I construct are very simple. I used to have a strong vocabulary. No more. Crap.