CrazyBoards.org

Im questioning my diagnosis, primarily because i dont think my mood swings are bipolar ones, i think they're connected to the borderline more than anything.

Anyway, i mentioned this to my therapist, and i said if the "affective" part of schizoaffective is taken away, does that just leave schizophrenia? Im pretty paranoid, and i figured if it is just schizophrenia on it's own, it might be paranoid type (really, it doesnt matter except im being treated with a mood stabilizer that i'd rather not take if i dont need it). She said she doesnt think paranoid schizophrenia because i know when i get paranoid, and paranoid schizophrenics generally dont know they're paranoid.

Thing is, off meds i dont know im being paranoid. I only have that insight now because im medicated enough to think rationally, i still get paranoid thoughts and beliefs (and sometimes i cant be talked out of them, the same as when im off meds). So i dont know. If i went off meds i would go right back to believing everything i thought was true. And there are still things that im told are delusional that i really know are not (for example, if i think certain things, they will be heard and there will be consequences. my husband says that's a delusion, but i dont think so). 

Anyone with paranoid schizophrenia/ more knowledge about schizophrenia than me care to weigh in on this?

I don't know too much, but I have read something before that the sub-types of Schizophrenia (paranoid, catatonic, disorganized) have been removed from the DSM V. So it's now just Schizophrenia. 

I am extremely paranoid all the time. I know I am being paranoid, but it's real to me and people try to tell me it isn't but I don't believe them because I see all the connections between things (the conspiracies)... I am diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

The DSM V has expanded, not reduced, all the sections. I don't have much knowledge on schizophrenia but keep in mind all diagnosis are done on a best fit basis. You may have symptoms from different disorders and you may also go in and come out of remission. I can understand the search for a label because you think it will make the solution clearer but labels don't fit us perfectly and our mental state is in constant flux so what's true today may not be in a week or month. In any case I hope you find the answers you're looking for. 

and i said if the "affective" part of schizoaffective is taken away, does that just leave schizophrenia?

That is what I am under the impression of.  If the bipolar part is taken away, it would be SZ.

SZ + Bipolar = SZA.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

With me, I don't think I'm being paranoid and I'm seriously questioning my diagnosis because of it. Me being spied on isn't paranoia. It's difficult to explain, but if you think you have the wrong diagnosis tell them about it and your ideas on what you think it is. 

Edited by KatyKat

oh how unsurprising
love the first person so forth despite
i hate how it's just fine for people without even experiencing psychosis to come along and watch like we're zoo animals ya fucking pricks.

whatever, anyway

in answer to your question not everyone who's been diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic has "persecutory delusions". and frankly, i fucking don't. i will say it's quite a shock to learn that you can still be classed "paranoid" even if the fuckers really ARE out to get you. but no, i'm not paranoid and i'm not delusional and i will fucking face five anyone who had the balls to say so to me in person. but i mean how classic is it to discredit someone by slapping that label because you're basically fucked and then they can authorize whatever the fuck they want and you don't get to have your rights respected as a person. so i'd AVOID. good luck and hope you're feeling better soon

I don't have paranoid schizophrenia my dx is schizoaffective.

That sounds like a good idea to wait to make any changes. What you are saying makes sense about if you don't have the affective part it would be schizophrenia, but I don't know what else your pdoc would consider.

I noticed a difference when I was first put on a mood stabilizer, it helped slow down my thoughts and make things quieter.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really strange because i am a paranoid schizophrenic and despite my medication i still feel at times that people are doing things to me in my life.  I know that i'm paranoid only because people would not usually believe the things that i do.  It makes me step back now when i do have these thoughts and really think about it.  Though i still tend to believe that people are doing things to me I find it in my best interest, to not make a big deal about it because there is no proof that i can offer.  Sure i could be right and people really are doing things to me in my life but what can i really do about it other then try not to let them get the best of me.

It sure can be stressful.

Edited by Tewlz

Shit. I just saw this again. Ok so technically I do have "persecutory delusions" all over my records I just don't appreciate being called delusional. So I don't see self as but clinically...whatever. Anyway, didn't want to blatantly be saying something inaccurate of self in the midst of my contempt for the system as that's not helpful. Soz x

I am SZA went for ages as BPD and anxiety/MDD then went to BPii. (I still have BPD "traits" that are very apparent during my depressive episodes.
I get told I have delusions and paranoia (psychotic symptoms) which is why BPii went to SZA. But I argue it- it IS REAL. It makes me so sad that no one believes me but I guess it's just how it is. Evene when I am stable (like I am mostly atm) I know it's real. A tiny part of me tries to believe my pdoc but I can remember what it is like when he (voices etc) are there and it IS REAL- so how is it a delusion/paranoia?!?!?!?!?

Edited by miss-e