CrazyBoards.org

Which are your strengths?

I believe behind every case of MI, there is a great person. Actually every person with a MI that I´ve met has a special personality trait, such as being very sensible.

I am trying to maintain every good aspect of my personality even though MI had dulled it.

One of the things I had to learn after becoming ill, was to let go the former image or me (or the image society wanted me to have) and just be "ME". I am no longer the "perfect" worker/employee. I am learning to just "be".

Which are your strengths? What are the good things about your personality that are still there in spite of MI?. Who are you?

For me I can empathize more, listen to others better, things arent as materialistic as they once were.

I'm also more "me" now.  Looking back I feel like I was somewhat "fake," kind of just going through the motions of what society expected me to do (or what I perceived what society expected), like go to college.  I had a great time in college, but that was the old "me."  I really seem like a different person now in a lot of ways.

And I was so materialistic back then it was crazy (I'm thinking more of late high school and college).  Now i am much more reasonable.

I'm sure there are other ways that I can't think of atm, but this is what first comes to mind.

I don't know that MI affects any of my strengths.  They are honesty and loyalty.  Anything else just comes and goes.  Empathy- I may cry for a person one day and blame them for their troubles the next (to be fair my friends have gotten themselves into fucked up situations despite many red flags and warnings.) 

Kids love and respect me.  I Have to admit I would not tolerate BS from my kids, and never had to hit any of them.  Animals love me, but all the pets I've loved have literally come to me- as in- jumped in my or SOs arms (which is quite rare for a kitten.) 

I have many more weaknesses, but if I am honest about them, people are more understanding and accepting.  Like if I said I was "good with people"and then told them to fuck off, that is totoally on me. 

For me I can empathize more, listen to others better, things arent as materialistic as they once were.

I'm also more "me" now.  Looking back I feel like I was somewhat "fake," kind of just going through the motions of what society expected me to do (or what I perceived what society expected), like go to college.  I had a great time in college, but that was the old "me."  I really seem like a different person now in a lot of ways.

And I was so materialistic back then it was crazy (I'm thinking more of late high school and college).  Now i am much more reasonable.

I'm sure there are other ways that I can't think of atm, but this is what first comes to mind.

i say to my daughter why do we have to conform to society ? 

We don't really have to.  Personally I conformed to society to fit in, in the different environments I was in over the years.  Now, I am more myself, and do my own thing.  I didn't like being "fake" so I ditched everyone who I changed myself for (ie high school and college friends).  I no longer keep in touch with anyone from high school and college.

Strengths: Artistic and creative skills + persistence of vision + I can solve issues that other wouldn't solve because of difficulty and some issues you need to work 12 hours without stopping it ;) + Interested in some spiritual things  + my IQ + humor & making jokes  + When not too manic; empathetic and I love music so much that it's become almost an addiction.

Also I have a sea full of emotions that normal people don't have!  :D

Edited by InnovatingProfessor²

We don't really have to.  Personally I conformed to society to fit in, in the different environments I was in over the years.  Now, I am more myself, and do my own thing.  I didn't like being "fake" so I ditched everyone who I changed myself for (ie high school and college friends).  I no longer keep in touch with anyone from high school and college.

i try and do my own thing also whether it spins people out or not. at least im being real not fake or hurting anyone so to speak.

Yeah, I didn't like being fake either.  At the time I don't think I realized that I was being fake.  I was kind of just going through the motions of someone who fit in.  Looking back though a lot of it wasn't me. 

i just started asking myself questions about life etc and thought why do we follow why cant we just be who we are and not care what others may think.

This makes me think of an exercise I was told to do by a recent therapist, I was supposed to write down positive things about myself at least once a day to help build my self esteem. It was so hard to do that I only did it once. I'm still finding it difficult. I don't want to be all negative and say I have none, because on an intellectual level I'm pretty sure that's not true. However, on an emotional level I do not believe or feel that I have any strengths, and like others have said, I have no concept of self whatsoever.

I remain calm during emergencies.

Me too.  Freaking out doesn't help anything one bit.  I might get a little overwhelmed at first, but afterwards I calm down.  After the fact though when I talk about it, it may seem like I did, but me talking it out gets the insaneness out of me that would have been there when it happened, had I not been calm.