CrazyBoards.org

Working in law enforcement with mental illness

This is a general question. My son has mentioned that he is interested in law enforcement. He is diagnosed (mild) aspergers, adhd, and bipolar traits. I'm not thrilled with the idea of him carrying a weapon but I don't want to squash his dreams and I know that on the right meds he could do it. Does he have to disclose his medical stuff? Is this a terrible idea?

No idea how that works. I would imagine he would have more obstacles than others. There are probably all kinds of psych evals to go along with the physical tests, but that's just me guessing. But I do think having more LE who are members of groups at higher risk of police violence (like the mentally ill) is a good thing. Has he seriously looked into this? 

No, he is 14 and next year in school he would be able to take a vo-tech school law enforcement program and still get his credits he needs to graduate. I'm not sure about him doing that to get out of school as he is an A student, but that's not my point. I just don't want him to be crushed if he can't do it

Is it possible for you or him to ask his questions to the person who teaches the vocational class? at least from a hypothetical perspective?

I'm sorry, wj74. I'm going to close this thread because CB is a first-person site, for wingnuts by wingnuts.