CrazyBoards.org

Difficult for me to smile again... painful memories keep coming back

I heard that smiling more often changes the outlook of a person's mind and can help them think more positive.

I have been trying to smile more often lately, but every time I smile, painful memories would come up and put me on the verge of crying. And I would go back to frowning.

Can anybody relate? What should I do? Is my Zoloft the proper dosage?

Is the physical act of smiling something that triggers you? For me forcing myself to smile can remind me of faking to be happy, it distresses me.

Do you have any hobbies? A favourite song/book/movie? Try doing something you enjoy or use to enjoy, listen/read/watch something you like? I like doing crazy dances to energetic music, listening to piano music or reading, hopefully there's something you can do that may at least calm your mind, distract or improve your mood a little.

Do you have a pdoc or are your meds GP prescribed? How long have you been on the 75mg dose?

From personal experience 75mg is a mid-range dose, GP's usually can go up to 100mg, pdocs can go higher. If you feel like your dose isn't doing all it can then speak to whoever prescribes it about increasing it to what they feels best.

I heard that smiling more often changes the outlook of a person's mind and can help them think more positive.

I have been trying to smile more often lately, but every time I smile, painful memories would come up and put me on the verge of crying. And I would go back to frowning.

Can anybody relate? What should I do? Is my Zoloft the proper dosage?

I don't know about the Zoloft but smiling when I'm feeling down just makes me angry that people expect me to smile when I'm feeling down.  

I hate that you're expected to smile, even when you feel like dog crap.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to overcome the "Fuck you!" chip that has forever sat on my right shoulder.  I call her Polly. :D

I do seek solace in animals.  Rescuing my Newfie/Lab mix, Max is the best thing I ever did.  My husband suffers with depression also, and I was diagnosed with Depression/ADD later in my adult life.  My step-daughter also has ADHD, so our house can be quite comical at times.

I'm sorry that your painful memories are still with you.  It took me a long time to accept mine.

Do you see a counselor? I found one who has experience of childhood trauma, which helped me a lot.

Not sure about your dosage, but maybe a chat with your doc would help?

Dx: Chronic Depression w/ADD

Meds: 40mg fluoxetine/ 27mg Concerta