CrazyBoards.org

Does (Hypo)Mania Always Mean You Wont Sleep?

I'm bipolar type 1 but "run hypomanic" a great deal so take my response for what you will. When hypomanic I tend to get nasty insomnia, often like I drank coffee before bed, and my sleep is light, fragmented, and peppered with lots of very vivid dreams. Usually I will be in bed 6-7 hours but not sleeping that entire time.

When hypo, I take forever to fall asleep, and I have a tendency to sleep for a few hours, wake up, sleep for a couple hours, wake up, be insufferable all day. Heh.

Other times, it just takes me forever to fall asleep, and when I sleep I get 6-8 hours just fine.

When I'm hypomanic/mixed it takes me FOREVER to get to get to sleep if I try (which normally not because I don't get tired til 2-3am)

And tend to only get about 4hr sleep and be quite fine with that. My body prefers around 10hr generally so that isn't much for me personally. But I can also go nights with between no sleep to 2hr when it's beginning or if I'm REALLLLLLY up.

I've had one experience/episode where I would pretend to go to sleep with my girlfriend then get up and write music like a maniac (I suppose literally) all night until it got early enough to where I would go back into bed so I'd be there when she woke up. Dumb I know, but I try really hard to keep my... affliction hidden from others. Also when I was younger (17ish) I would sneak out many nights to do things I probably shouldn't talk about on this forum lol. But besides those episodes, I usually only have a little trouble falling asleep when hypo. Since I've been on meds though I can fall asleep just fine. I find a routine is the best way to keep myself level.

I've had one experience/episode where I would pretend to go to sleep with my girlfriend then get up and write music like a maniac (I suppose literally) all night until it got early enough to where I would go back into bed so I'd be there when she woke up. Dumb I know, but I try really hard to keep my... affliction hidden from others. Also when I was younger (17ish) I would sneak out many nights to do things I probably shouldn't talk about on this forum lol. But besides those episodes, I usually only have a little trouble falling asleep when hypo. Since I've been on meds though I can fall asleep just fine. I find a routine is the best way to keep myself level.

Although I pretty much never stayed up all night, I hid my lack of sleep from my family like this for years.  My husband did not have a clue that I was getting up, doing stuff, then coming back to bed.  

Although I pretty much never stayed up all night, I hid my lack of sleep from my family like this for years.  My husband did not have a clue that I was getting up, doing stuff, then coming back to bed.  

That's funny (not really but) how we were hiding this in almost the same way :sleepy: