CrazyBoards.org

How does/did Saphris work for you?

Hello everyone. I am wondering how Saphris has worked/been working for those who have tried it/are on it. Effectiveness, and how helpful? Side effects? I have read a lot of good things and am considering asking my doctor if I can switch to it. I am currently on Zyprexa and Depakote. My diagnosis is either Schizoaffective, bipolar type...or Bipolar with psychotic features, depending on who you ask. Thanks!

Edited by dragonfly79

I loved saphris. It was very helpful to me. I tried it three times. Yet the weirdest sleep eating side effect kept happening to me every night about an hour after it took it. So freaking weird. Just thinking about it makes me angry. It worked for sleep like a charm and helped my anxiety and helped psychosis stuff. I really had a clear mind too. I took 20mg.

It tastes like ass though. Even the black cherry is horrible. If you have an option though, go for the flavored one. I developed some small painless mouth sores under my tongue. The stuff is strong. Make no mistake. And you can't eat or drink after you take it for something like 15 min or so.

Good luck if you try it.

I love Saphris! It made me pretty sleepy at first. My first dose made me feel drunk and really sick. I almost passed out. The samples pdoc gave me were expired and now that I have fresh ones from their patient assistance program, you can tell that there is a difference on some levels. To help with taste, I put it in my mouth, as far back under my tongue as I can, and then hold my nose while it dissolves. I swallow a few times and then let go of my nose. It makes it pretty easy to handle. The past few nights it has dissolved INSTANTLY, like almost before I can get my finger off of it/out of my mouth.

I have noticed it gives me really weird dry mouth, sometimes. Quite irritating when that happens but at least it's not daily. I really need to pick up some Biotene.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I loved saphris. It was very helpful to me. I tried it three times. Yet the weirdest sleep eating side effect kept happening to me every night about an hour after it took it. So freaking weird. Just thinking about it makes me angry. It worked for sleep like a charm and helped my anxiety and helped psychosis stuff. I really had a clear mind too. I took 20mg.

It tastes like ass though. Even the black cherry is horrible. If you have an option though, go for the flavored one. I developed some small painless mouth sores under my tongue. The stuff is strong. Make no mistake. And you can't eat or drink after you take it for something like 15 min or so.

Good luck if you try it.

Was the sleep eating like the kind you get on Ambien or something where you don't recall it the next day? Or was it a groggy half sleep half wake thing? Geodon makes me feel sleepy but like I MUST stay up and eat EVERYTHING now for about 2 hours after I take it. It's intense and torturous in feeling to me. It's the primary reason I want off it, but I can never find anyone who's had this side effect.

It's not so much a hunger or craving for the food as it is the urge to do the act of eating, but when I've tried just eating celery and jello it's like it ultimately won't stop until I give in and consume real calories. I wondered if it had to do with absorption.

i am currently having a pretty positive experience with saphris. i take 10 mg at night for 6 days now. i'm not super bothered by the horrible taste and the mouth numbness. it makes me want to eat a sandwich and then pass out for 8-10 hours. by which i mean i do want to eat on it, but a snack usually suffices - unlike seroquel, for example, on which i couldn't stop until the pantry was empty. the sleepiness is also more ambien-like than seroquel-like (i don't know if this makes sense...). i keep comparing it to seroquel because i switched from seroquel to saphris because of seroquel's horrible side effects (mostly the daytime fatigue, when it feels like if i move a finger, i will die). so the saphris does not make me tired during the day if i'd taken it the night before - which is a GREAT relief. i can actually function during the day.

saphris also has been pretty effective for me as far as alleviating symptoms goes. i started taking it in a brief (but intense) mixed hypomanic episode and 4 days later i was out of the episode. i have to see now whether it works for my symptoms of depression. no matter how horrible seroquel is, it was a super effective med for me as far as both mania and depression were concerned. so saphris has a lot to prove here, but so far it's been a great choice for me because it seems to do exactly what seroquel did for me but with far fewer nasty side effects.