CrazyBoards.org

Taxi cab drivers suck

writehellarandomshiny

I have to call a taxi to get home from my job on Sunday nights. Sometimes this is fine. Sometimes this is not so fine.

My taxi cab driver today tried to insist that I had to pay in cash.

I very politely explained that I had to pay with a card and that was what I told the phone operator.

The taxi cab driver tried to explain that he would only take cash.

Eventually after three minutes of arguing (and realizing he'd loose the ride if he didn't try to take a card), he gave in and drove me home.

Wouldn't you know it? His credit card machine worked fine. 

So, either he lied to me, or he's delusional.

Yuck. 

I'm going to call some different cab companies in my area. The two I've tried so far suck.

My guess is that he probably wanted the cash for himself?  It might be a long shot but maybe it was one of those things he wasn't going to report.  IDK another explanation for that.

I'm sorry he was so shitty towards you.

I didn't wonder about that; my thought was that he was going to try and get a longer cab ride for himself. He's very lucky he got ANY tip. 

My suggestion, for when you find a cab driver you like and trust to get you there in one piece without ripping you off, get his or her card or name and cab company, so you can keep on calling the good cab driver instead of the other 80-90% who are evil (can you tell I've had some disturbing cab experiences?). 

Maybe he gets charged by the card authoriser for the transaction, my local store does and if I don’t spend over a certain  amount I get a 50P about $0.75 charge for the privilege of paying with my card, they even have a atm in the shop that charges £1.50 $2.75 to withdraw your own money.

Maybe he wasn’t going to declare it, it seems unlikely as  the company knew that he was picking you up. Might be tax evasion, either way if your not comfy with the company, go with another one.

We have a great cab company. DH relies on them when I can't give him a ride (he has poorly controlled epilepsy), and I use them in place of being "dropped off" by him. They of course know us, we call for a cab about twice a week, so that helps. We have had many cabbies several times, so are actually comfortable enough to make small talk. And we are good tippers, so they are happy to see us. We mostly use credit cards, and then we can get them to email receipts to us.

Taxi cab drivers suck

ALL cab drivers or just those that do not behave in pre-ordained and/or expected ways?

In New York City I ran into some drivers who were creepy, but also some who were helpful, polite, and went beyond what was expected for their riders.

I react to generalization negatively, whether those generalizations are about gender, weight, race, or work status.