CrazyBoards.org

Instead of Self Harming- Getting Tattoos?

Hey there. The past few days I've been really wanting to self harm. I'm living in close proximity to my partner who is aware of my ideations and won't allow me to carry them out. Which I suppose is a good thing but I feel shitty for not being able to self harm. Yknow? Ugh.
Anyways, I was thinking maybe everytime I think about cutting I should put aside a dollar or a coin or whatever is in my pocket into a fund so i can get a tattoo when it really gets too much. And I guess the designing of my own tattoos would keep me destracted?
I don't know if this is better than self harm and having scars, but I dunno. I'm not cutting but I am scratching really hard. Shaved my hair so I couldn't pull on it. I'm just really struggling.

So I guess my question is: has anyone here gotten tattoos in place of cutting themselves or to control it?

I think that's a great idea. I haven't used tattoos, but I've used the tactic of giving myself "rewards" for going x-amount of time without SI'ing, and it has worked in the past. If it's something you really want, use it!

I think it depends on the OP's intention behind the tattoo.

If it's a symbol of conquering the urge by delaying so long that you've saved up enough for a tattoo and you want to celebrate, I think that's probably a cool thing for someone. Anything that puts distance between thought and action is a step in the right direction.

However, if the OP is getting tattoos as another method of self harm, that probably could use some scrutiny and critical questioning. Tattoos are pretty much permanent. They're painful and expensive to get rid of. It's worth not making impulsive decisions about body art.

It's great that you're looking for ways to reduce the amount of harm. However, scratches are really prone to infection. Our hands often have many, many germs unless you're surgically scrubbing under your nails and everything. Also, because they tend to take up a lot of surface area, they also tend to scar differently, sometimes much more visibly than you would expect.

If you're having a hard time with scratching, have you considered holding ice on the area until it becomes unpleasant or painful instead?

However, if the OP is getting tattoos as another method of self harm, that probably could use some scrutiny and critical questioning. Tattoos are pretty much permanent. They're painful and expensive to get rid of. It's worth not making impulsive decisions about body art.

Oh, yeah, definitely agreed. This didn't even occur to me as a possibility for some reason.

Like Titania, my tattoos are in spite of self-harm and not because of it. 

Tattoos for me are a way of putting values that I cherish or ideas that I value highly in a place where I know that I won't forget them (at least until I get dementia). They are a way of reminding myself, every time I see them, about all of the good things in life that I hold dear.

Self harm is the opposite of that.

Yes you can use the money as an incentive, but how do you cope with the emotions in the meantime?

i self harm and do tattoos on my self also. the old fashion way. i even let my daughter put one on me free hand (she used the proper equipment).  I also have several professional ones but they were never done for self harm reasons.

Edited by The 3 Me's

I'd not recommend self attempts at scarification or tattoos without the proper equipment and sterilisation. It can lead to infection, transmission of blood borne disease and loss of limbs/death. There are reasons peoples have to train and qualify to carry out body modification, because doing it yourself is a very dangerous thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. The past few days I've been really wanting to self harm. I'm living in close proximity to my partner who is aware of my ideations and won't allow me to carry them out. Which I suppose is a good thing but I feel shitty for not being able to self harm. Yknow? Ugh.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe everytime I think about cutting I should put aside a dollar or a coin or whatever is in my pocket into a fund so i can get a tattoo when it really gets too much. And I guess the designing of my own tattoos would keep me destracted?

I don't know if this is better than self harm and having scars, but I dunno. I'm not cutting but I am scratching really hard. Shaved my hair so I couldn't pull on it. I'm just really struggling.

So I guess my question is: has anyone here gotten tattoos in place of cutting themselves or to control it?

If your into tattoos like I am i say for it. Just keep in mind unless you have some serious scars then tattoos will always be more noticeable and you better think long and hard about what you want to get inked on you for life.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is a fantastic idea if done with the right intentions. I have one on my wrist on the inside and I look at it often (I pick at my skin) and it has discouraged me a lot from geting that arm.  I have three and I might take this idea up as I toy with my fourth one (need to save money so two birds?)

• 2 months later...

Update. 

I just did it. I got my nannas handwriting from the last cards she wrote to me and it has lifted a weight from me. I feel like a chapter has ended and I can start a new one. 

Update. 

I just did it. I got my nannas handwriting from the last cards she wrote to me and it has lifted a weight from me. I feel like a chapter has ended and I can start a new one. 

:) That's great to hear, and a lovely idea.