CrazyBoards.org

I'm sick of feeing like a leper for having this addiction. The mentality that smokers are purposefully offensive is all too prevalent in New Zealand. The idea that if you don't want to quit there is something wrong with you is written between the lines in every conversation about smoking. I'm tired of the propaganda. Alcohol is a far more harmful societal addiction and yet there is little focus on it in this country because we have an vested economic interest in wine and beer. Taxes on cigarettes, however, is no problem. And often it is the lower socio-economic classes who suffer from tax hikes. This makes the poor even poorer and takes away money to feed their children in order to support their smoking habit.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the lower socio-economic classes who suffer from tax hikes. This makes the poor even poorer and takes away money to feed their children in order to support their smoking habit.

I got it until this point, really. 

I can't feel bad for anyone that does anything for THEMSELVES which makes their children's basic needs difficult to meet. That's a very good reason to quit. You made a really good point for not smoking with that last statement, oddly.

Worst I get here is that non-smokers are annoying as shit in general (I don't smoke anymore, but I'm not going to get pissed off at someone or give them dirty looks for smoking) so that was always annoying. Taxes are higher and I know a lot of people that quit because they couldn't afford it anymore. 

But if it's really so bad that people are paying the high taxes and their kids aren't eating well because of it, that's on the individual, not the government. 

I heard on the news here the other day that they are calling for a substantial increase in the cigarette tax to combat smoking. I don't think that will cause a lot of people not to smoke. It will just mean people will do without other things. And, yes, it will hit the lower economic class the hardest.

I had to quit for me, not for any sense of second-class citizenry in order to make it last. If it were that easy than addictions would have long been eliminated! My reasons are personal to me, although cost was a factor as well. Addiction is so hard to beat that it cannot be done through external factors alone.

I have to disagree that it's less dangerous than alcohol.  I read a statistic recently that said that our anti-smoking campaigns in the US have reduced our percentage of smokers so much that 8 million lives have been saved. I'm one of them, even though I'm living with COPD.

It is very hard to get off them:  an addictions counselor told me that nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin.  I'm glad I did it, but I do have sympathy for people who are still smoking.  It's a hard thing to beat.  I don't think smokers are purposefully offensive, and I wish there were more public-funded programs to help the smokers when they want to quit.

Money was never a factor for me---I could always scrounge up the cash to buy a pack. 

olga

nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin.  

It's actually more addictive than heroin, statistically. 

Money was a factor for me, at almost $10 a pack at a pack a day. It wasn't my only reason for quitting, but at one point last year I had to roll my coffee can of coins and cash it in to come up with the rest of my mortgage payment... meanwhile I was throwing away $300 a month a a stupid addiction.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge smokers at all. I enjoyed it and I sympathize with any smoker, whether they want to quit or not. I did, desperately. Repeated failure was driving my depression even deeper. I "quit" 2 months ago... I put it in quotes because I'm using the nicotine spray, which literally got me off cigarettes the second I started it... but that speaks even more to the power of the nicotine addiction; I'm still 100% addicted to nicotine, and not looking forward to tapering off the spray, but I'm eternally grateful I'm not putting all that shit in my body anymore.

I might disagree about the alcohol part as well, although it might be harder to define it's impact on society; it's certainly not as harmful to health overall. But as far as society, having known a few kiwis, that's definitely possible.

Thanks for reading and responding to my rant. I was definately talking about the societal impact of alcohol and not the mortality rates associated with it. I don't think anyone can argue with the stats that smoking causes more deaths. But I don't think it tears families apart either.

I don't agree with families spending money on ciggies rather than food for their children but that's just the harsh reality of the situation in poorer communities in NZ. When you're desparately poor sometimes ciggarettes are one of life's only satisfactions. That some people would rather cut down on groceries than cut back on nicotine is the sad reality and I don't think it's fair to make a blanket judgment call on the parents when it is the goverment forcing them to make this choice.

The fact is the government wants to save money on hospitals for sick people dieing of cancer and other smoking related illnesses. It's not noble at all. Get the poorer people to stop smoking and clear up a few hospital beds. It's all a question of evonomics not heart.

Oh and don't get me started on Champex or whatever it's marketed as. I would rather smoke for the rest of my life than touch that shit with a ten foot garbage pole. Who knows what it does to your brain and how it affects your moods and interacts with other crazy meds?

I don't think anyone can argue with the stats that smoking causes more deaths. But I don't think it tears families apart either.

I myself feel that anti-smoking campaigns have become MILITANT. Smoking is being smeared, demonized, associated with apathy and malicious intent. People are getting in trouble for smoking in their own cars and homes. What happened? Commercial jets still have ashtrays from when you used to be able to smoke on airplanes, yet we're banning smoking everywhere the sun shines? Why? What is so terrible and awful about it?

I don't buy for one second that it's being done because "the authorities care about us." If they REALLY cared about us, alcohol would not be so prevalent, the "War on Drugs" wouldn't keep targeting individual users, and people would understand the dangers of GMO food, cell phones, WiFi, back-scatter X-rays, vaccines, and more.

Study after study conducted without biases has shown that smoking not only doesn't cause all these diseases the authorities claim it does, but that for some people smoking can actually be beneficial. This flies in the face of decades of propaganda and "conventional wisdom", but just google "smoking can be good" or "benefits of smoking" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Nicotine interacts with receptors in the brain associated with the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is very involved in memory and critical thinking. This is a clue to the crackdown right here. Do the PTB want a population who can think critically and remember things? Of course not, people like that are harder to control. People who smoke don't tend to get Alzheimers. Smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, doesn't cause emphysema, and second hand smoke is not nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Is nicotine addictive? Yes. How addictive? Probably no more than sugar, which is added unnecessarily to much of the processed food we eat.

Does it cause death? Maybe a few, but not millions upon millions. Stop lying, stop exaggerating, and stop force-feeding us propaganda. We've had quite enough of that.

http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/124500.html

http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ray/TSSOASb.html

http://www.sadireland.com/smoking1.htm

Chantix/champix isn't wellbutrine/bupropion, they're very different. Wellbutrin is actually an antidepressant that also helps quit, but it's true that for some (like me, the second time around) it can cause pretty bad depression unfortunately. Bummer because it's magic for quitting smoking

Climber is correct:   Chantix is not Wellbutrin.  The confusion may have come about because there is a drug called Zyban that is used for quitting smoking, and it is actually bupropion, which is the generic name for Wellbutrin.

necklace, I don't understand how you can say this:

"Smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, doesn't cause emphysema, and second hand smoke is not nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Is nicotine addictive? Yes. How addictive? Probably no more than sugar, which is added unnecessarily to much of the processed food we eat."

The links you provided are not to scientific studies done in medical research facilities and peer-reviewed.  I'm too tired to go dig up the hundreds of studies that have linked smoking to lung disease, heart disease, circulatory problems, dental issues, and several types of cancer.  Every heavy smoker that I know has died of one of those diseases.  I'm old, so I've known a lot of smokers.  I have COPD, and I never had asthma and I don't live in an area with polluted air. I smoked for 38 years and now I'm paying for it.

Our members have medical problems as well as being Mentally Interesting.  Is is not helpful to make statements like the one you made, and we don't like to publish and spread misinformation on Crazyboards.  Please do not post things like that unless you have scientific studies to back up what you're saying.

I agree with the OP that the anti-smoking people can be very strident, but let's keep the discussion here close to the facts.

olga

I don't think anyone can argue with the stats that smoking causes more deaths. But I don't think it tears families apart either.

I myself feel that anti-smoking campaigns have become MILITANT. Smoking is being smeared, demonized, associated with apathy and malicious intent. People are getting in trouble for smoking in their own cars and homes. What happened? Commercial jets still have ashtrays from when you used to be able to smoke on airplanes, yet we're banning smoking everywhere the sun shines? Why? What is so terrible and awful about it?

I don't buy for one second that it's being done because "the authorities care about us." If they REALLY cared about us, alcohol would not be so prevalent, the "War on Drugs" wouldn't keep targeting individual users, and people would understand the dangers of GMO food, cell phones, WiFi, back-scatter X-rays, vaccines, and more.

Study after study conducted without biases has shown that smoking not only doesn't cause all these diseases the authorities claim it does, but that for some people smoking can actually be beneficial. This flies in the face of decades of propaganda and "conventional wisdom", but just google "smoking can be good" or "benefits of smoking" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Nicotine interacts with receptors in the brain associated with the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is very involved in memory and critical thinking. This is a clue to the crackdown right here. Do the PTB want a population who can think critically and remember things? Of course not, people like that are harder to control. People who smoke don't tend to get Alzheimers. Smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, doesn't cause emphysema, and second hand smoke is not nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Is nicotine addictive? Yes. How addictive? Probably no more than sugar, which is added unnecessarily to much of the processed food we eat.

Does it cause death? Maybe a few, but not millions upon millions. Stop lying, stop exaggerating, and stop force-feeding us propaganda. We've had quite enough of that.

http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/124500.html

http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ray/TSSOASb.html

http://www.sadireland.com/smoking1.htm

Even when I smoked I knew it was horrible for me.

This is bullshit.

Even when I smoked I knew it was horrible for me.

Yeah, me too. I love smoking, I don't want to stop. But I know it's dramatically shortening my life expectancy. I know that, if I live to my 30s and beyond, I will probably pay dearly for what I'm doing to my body. I know that all the people in my family who have died of lung cancer were life-long smokers, and no one else in my family has ever had any kind of cancer so genetic/environmental factors seem unlikely. To believe otherwise sounds to me like either denial or some kind of widespread government conspiracy paranoia. Kind of like people who espouse the dangers of vaccines and cell phones. 

And to suggest non-smokers are incapable of critical thinking (and suggesting that all smokers DO have critical thinking skills) is ridiculous.

People who smoke don't tend to get Alzheimers. Smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, doesn't cause emphysema, and second hand smoke is not nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Is nicotine addictive? Yes. How addictive? Probably no more than sugar, which is added unnecessarily to much of the processed food we eat.

My grandmother smoked two packs a day.  She called her emphysema her "smothering".  She contracted alzheimer's and basically died long before she died of cardiac arrest.  My grandfather was never without a lit cigarette.  I watched him writhe in bed, wracked with the agony of the lung cancer that killed him.  My uncle smoked his pipe day after day, year after year.  The tumors got him.  My brother used to come in from wet tobacco fields shivering with "the shakes" because of contact nicotene overdose.  When I was a kid we often used to make a five-hour trip to visit relatives, and my dad would smoke in the car, rolling down his window a big half-inch, supposedly to let the smoke out.  I had asthma.  I would lie in the floorboard of the back seat and try to cover my mouth so that I could breathe at all.

To my everlasting shame, generations of my family raised tobacco, for 130 years.  God only knows how much suffering we were responsible for, how much death.  But we paid a cost in lives of our own, people I loved very, very dearly.  Today, my children know that if I ever catch them lighting up they will see me rise up in wrath that will make Vesuvius' destruction of Pompeii look like a puff of dust.

Any industry whose entire business model is based on a product designed to addict consumers so that they can't stop buying it is reprehensible.  That that product is also lethal and exacts a hideous toll in human life, as well as millions upon millions of dollars in otherwise unnecessary medical expense, is evil in its purest extraction.

Necklace, I have zero patience for tobacco-industry apologists like you.  What if even one single person believes the imbecilic rant you just posted, and takes up smoking, thinking that it does no harm and won't kill them?  What if that person becomes addicted and later dies in pain and suffering as a direct result of the effects of smoking (which, by the way, no credible scientist or medical professional disputes)?  That death would be on your head.

Smoking kills.  End of.

But the untold suffering it causes to the living is just as great, and just as vile.

Here at Crazyboards, we've got enough problems without some nitwit trying to persuade people that smoking is in any way okay.  We won't tolerate it.  Take your pro-tobacco propaganda somewhere else.  And that is not a suggestion.

Cerberus

Edited by Cerberus

Smoking kills. My grandma died of lung cancer, she chainsmoked. 

I've seen the damage it does. My great aunt had a brain tumour. It didn't kill her, emphysema did. She was in her 90's.

I smoke, it's bad for me. It's addictive as hell. I feel myself getting sick when I smoke. I sniffle, my lungs feel like crap. I have horrible smokers cough.  I know it's terrible for me. I know I should quit again.

I know a lot of MI people smoke. I know it makes me feel better mentally. But physically? It ain't helping.

I don't think the link between smoking and a higher risk of life threatening illnesses can be denied or even debated as it has been proven scientifically. Thanks for people who are on topic.

I know when I try to quit I become depressed to a point where I'm low functioning and sometimes unstable. For me, mentally, the pay off is worth it and I'm willing to sacrifice potentionally some years off my life. Given that no members of my family who smoked ever died of lung cancer I count myself luckier than sone but not naive to consider myself immune.

I won't recommend other people to smoke. I just want to be tolerated if not fully accepted in society. I don't want to have to hide my habit at work like it's something I should be ashamed of.

Ideally I wish I wasn't dependant on smoking but I am and I'm ok with it. I simply accept. Accept that it's my choice and the routine/ritual is enjoyable to me, harms no one (I don't smoke in people's faces or in cars with others) and lowers my stress.

Also on this note making it policy to not smoke in a mental hospitals in Aucland as of last year is fucked up beyond all belief. For some of us it's all we've got when we're locked up and it's not realistically going to stop people from lighting up as soon as they have the chance. It's bordering on sadistic when you consider the power treatment workers have over patients. Luckily I haven't been admitted since this time but I'm all to aware it could be me having to bite the bullet and conform to societal pressure if I'm ever admitted again.

What a load of c**p, Smoking Kills, Smoking causes Cancer and heart disease. It has been proven a millon times.

I'm a smoker of 10 a day and i keep trying to quit and have done ever since i started this evil habit.

Smoking killed two of my grandparents, one was in her forties, granted she smoked about 80 a day.

When i smoke, i make sure no children are around to breath it in, i always throw my ends away so they don't make the outside look bad, but i am too fed up of the judgemental stares you get from people, i really do just want to tell them to mind their own buisness!, if they don't like it then look the other way!. We can't smoke in public buildings here and that's fine. I would never dream of smoking indoors or in a car, and no way would i make someone else breath it in, these smokers are selfish.

I also find it hypocritical when i go to the store and am smoking away from the other shopers, to still get evil looks when they have just pulled up in a gas guzzling car, that is also impacting on the environment ( i don't drive), i want to tell them to stop being a hypocrite.

Smoking is seen as a lower class habit here as well, so you also get judged.

Edited by neptunesky

Where I live, smoking is still fairly common, and while we definitely have the media shaming blitz going on like everywhere else, I can't say I have ever felt like I've been judged or anything because I smoke, or felt the need to hide it, even when I do it on the street or sneak to a semi-secluded spot on campus to light up. Almost everyone I know smokes, not all of them daily, but to some extent. If you go to pretty much any place where it's completely "banned" here, you are almost guaranteed to find people breaking that ban.