CrazyBoards.org

Feels like my tongue and mouth are swelling when I eat?

This just started happening in the past few months. Any time I eat  or drink anything it feels like my tongue and under my mouth is swelling, it feels hard to talk or move my mouth and my lips  twitch. I know it isnt allergies because I can't possibly be allergic to everything, and its with things I could eat with no problem before. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so did you find something that helps with it?

Have you been tested for food allergies?  I know you said you don't think it is, but you never know. 

Out of the blue, I became allergic to pumpkin seeds.  Over my life I had never been allergic to anything, and one day I was eating these and my tongue swelled.  So I went to an allergy DR. 

Also allergic to chocolate; get terrible migraines and my throat closes.  I've been able to eat it my whole life until about a year ago. 

My DR has me carry around an epi-pen for emergencies.  Fortunately I've never had to use it.

This sensation can be a side effect of certain meds, particularly antipsychotics. I think you should tell your pdoc about this. And, as Melissa has said, it wouldn't hurt to be checked out for allergies or other potential physical causes.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been tested for food allergies, but certain fruits and vegetables make my mouth itch and my throat all scratchy unless I boil or steam them. It's even happened a few times when I haven't eaten or drank anything at all. When I think about eating food and think of the tongue swelling problem, I can feel it start, so I'm hoping it's just anxiety? I'll definitely have to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment. Drinking doesn't cause the sensation at all unless I'm having a panic attack and already feel the swelling sensation. I also took anti psychotics at one point but I've been off of them for about a year now.

I had this when I had my panic disorder. It came about after a severe allergic reaction. Every time I ate something I thought my mouth and throat were swelling up but it was just anxiety. Eventually after 2, 3 months things started to calm down and I'd only get it under periods of high stress or in uncomfortable situations. 

Therapy and benzos helped me when I was panicking. I do recommend getting tests done for food allergies to rule it out. I did this and when I confirmed it was anxiety that also helped me rationalize it. I hope this passes quickly.