CrazyBoards.org

I've been having CBT for psychosis for over a year now and I don't feel like I'm making much, or enough, progress. My tdoc and I do lots of work together on getting me to see more explanations on things I believe, but I just don't feel like it's working. I still believe I'm 100% correct, I still have all the same things going on with no improvement. Has anyone else experienced this? Or has anyone had cbt for psychosis and it actually worked? 

Edited by KatyKat

Someone posted about this recently. About CBT and psychotic disorders I believe. There was a study done showing it was not too effective. Hopefully that person can chime in too.

Anyways I go to a day treatment CBT group. I've been going for a while now. I honestly can't tell if it's helping. At first I thought it was, but now as more time has passed it seems so repetitive. But we get off topic a lot.

It was really overkill when I was seeing a different tdoc who also did CBT therapy. Now that was so dang repetitive. It was awful. Repeating the same damn thing over and over and the same little tiny model too. Omg it was awful. I felt bad because he was a nice enough guy, just didn't really know how to deal with someone with a psychotic disorder I think. He seemed like he could work,well with someone with mood issues as the primary problem. Idk. I stopped seeing him.

I posted a study here recently that indicated that there was no big improvement in symptoms measured in 50 studies.

HOWEVER

How do you measure improvement? Is is that symptoms go away, or that they are easier to live with? is it less medication or the same but less need for more dosages?

To the OP, what I would say is this, is CBT is not helping you to believe less in your thoughts, then it sounds like you have given that a fair go. My question would be, what next? Assuming that medication cannot eradicate your thoughts, what do you hope for in the rest of your life? If you don't want to spend your time reality checking your thoughts, then you need a plan B. Maybe that is to do another kind of therapy to deal with your emotions and stress, many people find that their odd thoughts only become a big issue when they are under stress or in emotional pain. Maybe you are going to build a network of people around you who can reality check with you and keep you grounded. Maybe you need another med assessment and to try something new. Maybe you need someone who can talk with you about your delusional thoughts to examine where you think they come from and what you'd like to change, in an more open therapy space? Only you know what it is you would consider to be improving your quality of life?

CBT is not the only type of therapy approved for delusions. It is an acknowledged idea that people with psychosis don;t benefit from more traditional types of non directed talk therapy if they are delusional, usually meds are used to reduce that before going ahead. If you have the patience to work in CBt for so long, maybe you could make a case for another therapy. Art therapy, dialectical behavioural therapy, peer support, could all help.

It really depends on how the delusions impact you and how your illness impacts you, what causes you the most suffering? And how far are you prepared to go to deal with the issues around it?

That's given me a lot to think about, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...