CrazyBoards.org

how many other people here LOVE Zyprexa

Zyprexa --- the only thing I hate about it is the hunger, and at the dose I am at it isn't that bad. Zyprexa gets a bad rap with people because of the weight gain and metabolic side effects but nothing quells the anxiety and sleep for me like it. I have been on it at 5 mg for 4 months, so far I have gained about 5 pounds. I have a history of eating disorders, but it works so well, it seems totally worth it.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if I'm taking it for psychotic symptoms, my Pdoc seems to think I don't have any anymore, but I think I might still get too overly paranoid sometimes, in social situations. In any case, weather it is social anxiety or a mild case of Schizoaffective, Zyprexa totally works

Works wonders putting me asleep too-- even at a low dose, like a benzo. Way better then Seroquel at keeping me asleep. Love it, wondering how many other people on here have found it really helps them.

I didn't gain any weight, but it has made me want to eat to the point of feeling sick before (which was horrible). And when I take one, I usually sleep for ridiculous lengths of time, which I can't stand. It's a life-saver if I'm starting to feel manic, though. I don't take it regularly for maintenance therapy, but I keep some around for when things start to go haywire. It usually helps mitigate it until I can see my doctor. 

Zyprexa stopped my paranoia stone dead. I don't wander the house with a knife in my hand, or worse, the neighborhood. *wince* I have moments where I'm hyper alert, but I'm able to check myself and think, "are you being reasonable here?" So yeah, I'd say it's been very helpful.

I was scared of weight gain with it, and because diabetes runs in my family, but I only gained ten pounds in the first three months, and haven't noticed a problem since. I don't have trouble losing it, either. I still watch my sugars closely, but I feel like I got off pretty scott-free.

I am a Zyprexa fan. It helped with my worst depression and kept psychotic symptoms and OCD at bay. It is a genius emergency med for breakthrough mania or psychosis. I took it for the better part of a year, but I got sick of my doctor constantly on my case about monitoring my sugars and getting weighed in at the pdoc. I only gained maybe 5-10 lbs. 

Zyprexa stopped my symptoms dead in their tracks but it made me a zombie and caused me to gain a huge amount of weight in a short amount of time. So I'm not really a fan, it's a great emergency med for me though when things get too overwhelming but I would hate to have to take it regularly again.

Hello. I am currently on Zyprexa 20mg and Depakote 1500mg. I feel wonderful on this combination, but the weight gain is hard on me. I have been on these meds for almost 1.5 months, and they are helping with the voices, delusions, and mood. I have never felt better. I am not sure if I am still gaining weight, but the weight gain has been a lot and very rapid. I gained a lot on Haldol too though, then stopped. Once on my current combo, I began gaining even more and have gone over the 200 pound mark. I am a female and only 5'4, so this is troubling. However, I am scared to switch meds since so many of them cause weight gain anyway, and I am feeling so much better. Just wish I did not need meds at all, but am grateful for how I feel today.

it's the only thing enabling me to compose sensical sentences. off it, my clanging and loose associations and the lot take over more quickly than i care to contemplate. mostly i think it may well be poison, but at least i'm not typing word salad. it kinda tastes like crappy orange baby aspirin or something though. can't take it as my only antipsychotic...that's the downside for me.

Hi everyone-- thanks for all the responses. I guess love is kind of a strong word to use about a medication. Like everyone else I don't love taking meds, and I probably never will, however this med has been the only anti-psychotic so far I have tried that works for me. I don't think I would be able to function without. The hunger is a bit of a problem, but at the dose I am at, it is okay, not so so bad. I don't know how I would feel taking 10 or 20 mg of it, the hunger on higher doses might be worse.I'm trying to lose some weight myself, not sure if this medication is stopping my weight lose since I do work out and eat healthy.

I am willing to try to maintain my weight on it though, even if I can't lose, because I feel like it is helping me so much. I have tried many other  AAPs : Seroquel, Ablify and Risperdone, and I find, for myself it works better then those did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use zyprexa when nothing else works. I can't take it daily due to horrible weight gain and  muscle freezing up and other TD stuff, but if I am really apesh*t crazy - Zyprexa will usually stop it. I keep some around for the times nothing else works. 

also nothing puts me to sleep like Seroquel . I took 25 mg for years and now 50xr.  works like a charm.

It stopped my paranoia and my idea that my inner voice (mind) and body were trying to make me kill myself right away. It also helped me keep my mood stable. I was on 7.5mg and the paranoia started creeping back up a few days later but was still fine. I wasn't 'suicidal' for a while. 

Unfortunately, I think I was asleep for a good 1/2 of the day and tired the rest of the time. Also gained the weight I lost and got EPS two weeks into it. I also lost the ability to practice self-care like washing my face (had about 2 days worth of makeup on!) and logging in the my DBT diary card. 

I would still be on it if it wasn't for the side effects it had. It worked wonders. 

• 2 weeks later...