CrazyBoards.org

Back pain? - Vitamin D, Depression or what else could it be?

Pearly

Ok. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 4 years ago and I've been taking my med ever since with no further problems...

except recently, back pain. Probably pain is not the right word because it is not painful ... more uncomfortable....It started a few weeks ago. I have been working at this job for about five months. I am so fatigued too.

I have to sit at my desk 37.5 hours per week doing the same thing on the computer the whole day.

Dr thinks it could be vitamin d (it was low when last checked) but I went to India for seven weeks recently and that can't be it. I am having a blood test though.

Or she thinks it could be depression. Which I don't think it is because I don't feel depressed.

Any ideas?

I agree with JT07:  Before thinking there is something wrong, check if your chair is supporting your pack properly.  Make sure that the keyboard is sitting at an angle that is comfortable for you---that you're not leaning to one side or sitting at an odd angle.

You might also get up and stretch several times a day.  Even if you can't leave your desk, I'm sure you could stand up and stretch your arms to the ceiling and the bend over and touch your toes and just generally loosen up.  It's important to do this when you lead a sedentary life.

olga

Do you strengthen the muscles of your core any? If not, they will weaken and hurt. Some people modify their workstations to be more standing-friendly, while others sit on stability balls for this reason.

I'm with Olga that stretching is pretty important. There are a fair few "exercise at work" suggestions out on the internet, too.

I think if you have a sit-down job, you need to take good care of your back in your spare time. That might involve stretching and strengthening exercises with a daily walk for example. Pilates and yoga might be good if you'd like to do something in a group class setting. You might also ask your dr about referral to physical therapy. They are the best people to put together an exercise plan for you.