CrazyBoards.org

How Common is Substance Abuse in Bipolar Individuals?

No, I never felt that way and still don't.  I was flying high as hell for a long long time that I would tell people I didn't need drugs or booze to get drunk.  Which, unfortunately, was entirely true.  Booze would make me more manic and I kinda hated that.  Mostly I thought my thoughts were the best and that everybody else should just shut up.  

Have abused substances in the past...now I have better coping skills in place so I don't need to revert back to that shit. Though, for one substance, given the chance, I would most likely abuse it again after a small amount of time being responsible with it. I just wanted to get away from my feels when I was doing those things. I thought I felt better that way, but I didn't. There are better ways to deal. Not that easy though!

Before I was medicated, it was the only way I could cope. I too felt like I needed to "change my 'thoughts.'" I'd get these urges to get out of my mind...

I still get the urges, but now that I'm medicated the urges are more manageable, and I don't get them anywhere near as often.

A significant percentage of people who are bipolar self-medicate with alcohol and street drugs. I can't remember the percentage, because that would be helpful. But I am thinking more than 1 in 4. Maybe someone else will know, I am just too bleah to look it up.

I defiantly used to abuse drugs (never got into hard ones thank god) to escape feelings that I did not want to feel. I too resized this was a very temporary escape and for the most part, made me feel like complete shit. I wasn't sure if I was just "making up" these problems in my head (if that makes any sense) or what, but thank you for all the responses! 

When I was in high school I used to joke that I didn't need to take hallucinogens, that I could do that all on my own.

When I was first manic I smoked weed to slow me down some, but I'm not much into that.  I do drink, and drink more if I'm unstable, but not to the point of having a problem (in my opinion - now, anyways...my first manic episode was a lot of black out drinking, now I rarely get drunk).

Most people in my family have had issues with substance abuse and many of those were diagnosed as bipolar or suspected to have had it. Alcoholism seems to be the most common issue, although there have been other things. Personally, I never had that problem because I am too scared to start anything. Being around addicts a lot doesn't inspire a person to join them.

• 2 weeks later...

Very, from the studies have perused.  Now I find that I want to use some form of drugs to get an "artificial mania".  I've successfully weaned myself off alcohol and opium and have no desire to get hooked on anything else which will ruin my life and the lives of those around me.  Nevertheless, the "thirst" is still there.  :(

abitcrazy

Big time problem for me. I fell off the wagon when this most recent series of episodes started (not that I had been on it that long, mind you). I couldn't tell you if they are related with any certainty, but i suspect so.

I don't know if I would call it abuse but I self medicate with cannabis. I didn't start until my early twenties when my MI was full blown so I was not worried about triggering psychosis, which I have seen studies about suggesting correlation. The withdrawl I go through when inevitably run out is very minor, nothing compared to some psych meds. That was what kept me "drug free" all those years, knowing the night sweats, insomnia etc all too well. Perhaps I am an addict but my coffee habit seems so much more tolerable to people.

I do not encourage my choice but it is my most effective antidepressant, it simply brought joy back into my life. I had lost the ability to feel joy and it came rushing back. Like many with a family history of MI also have a history with alcoholism but I have avoided it. I dont understand how it soothes people but to each their own I suppose.

I went through a period (when I was undiagnosed) where I was drinking alot. It ended up in me getting 2 DUI's within 6 months of each other and attending court ordered rehab. That was my wake up call. When I was diagnosed, one of the questions my pdoc asked me was about substance abuse and drugs. She said a lot of unmedicated people self medicate with alcohol and drugs. Since I've been on meds I don't have the desire to drink like I used too. I mean I drink here and there, a drink or two, but not getting completely fucked up like I used to.

I am medicated and I still do. Episodes can be hard to tolerate so I get drunk sometimes when I can't handle feeling the way I feel. 

SOMETIMES. Ha. Every damn episode I have I drink to get drunk at least once a week. Probably twice on average, I guess. I don't like doing that when I think about it, but when I feel like absolute ass, I consider all options. I would totally do street drugs if I could during a lot of episodes.

I hate to admit that. I feel like shit for it and dislike how often I drink in  general but it happens. Meh.

I'd stop, but sometimes it's the only thing I can think to do to chill the hell out or go to sleep. Bad idea, would not recommend this at all.