CrazyBoards.org

Food banks suck

neptunesky

So basically im a little poor at the moment, i have some unexpected bills to pay and rising interest charges, and my sickness welfare has been cut i'm a little short of food and to pay the bills im going to have to cut back, so i swallow my pride and look up foodbanks in my area, there is one i can get to, then i notice there are terms and conditions attached!

People have to visit their docter or Social worker if they have one and then tell them that they have no money to eat, the professional will then issue them with a coupon to take to the charity run foodbank, for 3 DAYS worth of food!.

So basically they want people to wait a week until they can see their docter, embarass themselves forever (i might be being a little sheltered here), but i would not feel comfy seeing the Docter again for anything mental health or medical. And then they only give you 3 days worth of food, and then what happpens when you've eaten it?, you have to go back for another coupon at the Docters?

I'm not justifying stealing, but when even a charity has such harsh terms and conditions, i really do not  blame mothers who steal bread to feed their children. I then read that this particular charity have literally tonnes of food sitting in warehouses. I understand that they need to make sure people really need the food, but to put someone who's hungry and in poverty through that shame and then only provide them with enough food for three days is a bit of a disgrace.

I'm in England and the charity will rename nameless.

Edited by neptunesky

This happens here also for the Food Pantries, at least in my area.  You need a letter from a church or DR or LICSW stating your hardships, then you give the letter to the food pantry.  I'm not sure though how long that lasts/how often it has to be renewed though.

Edited by melissaw72

There has to be some kind of control, or there would be rampant abuse.  And I imagine that they limit it to a certain number of days because of the time it takes the food to spoil - if you take so much that you can't eat it all before it spoils, then that spoiled food was food some other needy person could have eaten in the meantime.  

However, no one ever tells you these realities until it hits you in the face at the very time you're in need.  I've had friends who used food pantries on a regular basis when the husband was out of work and they have 6 mouths to feed.  I think they had recurring letters from the church to cover the months he was out of work.  Does the note have to come from your doctor?  A church may be more sympathetic.

The church is the place distributing the food parcels, it states that it has to be a Docter or Social Worker.

The food is canned and dried, things like soup, fruit and pasta.

I understand they need to check these things but after you have a letter from the docter, i feel you should be able to get at least 7 days worth of food. Some of us have to wait a week to get a Docter appointment because surgeries are very busy.

Edited by neptunesky

I'm not sure about where you are located, but here there is a free hot meal just about every day of the week provided by churches, drop-in centres, spiritual and secular organizations, etc. There are dumpsters that you can dive in. There are community events that you can attend. There are groups that are free to join and that provide meals to members (keep a separate email address for this). Etc.

There are ways to find food. 

I agree that you've hit a major stumbling block. And it costs the NHS a lot of money to have surgeries as the gatekeepers. Perhaps you could make your local MP aware of this.

I could try writing to my MP, I was thinking about doing this anyway in regards to my ESA assement.

Iam unaware of any places offering meals to people. I draw the line at looking in rubbish bins. I would feel a little bad

joining a group for the food.

You don't have to join any groups here to get meals.  There are a couple of charities that offer meals 3 or 4 times a week, and anyone can walk in and eat.  I've also seen people leave there with sandwiches and fruit in a bag.  These meals are offered by the Salvation Army, a Baptist Church, a group called "Family of Woodstock"  and another called the Queen's Galley.  (I'm in the USA)

The food bank in our town has no strings attached.  You need food?  You go there and they will fill up a couple of grocery bags.  It is sited in a church, but various people in the community run it and solicit donations for it.  I have a friend who belongs to the Episcopal Church 2 towns away from here, and their food bank is the same. 

I'm sorry that there isn't a more charitable-minded group in your town.

olga

Thanks for your understanding, iam going to just have to learn how to survive on one meal a day for a fortnight until i get my next payment. I can't get into arreas with my credit card, i get a £12 $20 charge for not paying and then the next payment is double.

We have a salvation army here, i will check them but it is my last option, short of embarrassing myself futher and asking the neighbors who i hardly know or the local shop if they are throwing anything out, but then i will not be able to shop there again.

Edited by neptunesky

My mom works for a charity in the US. Her particular office distributes food but they do other stuff as well. It is unbelievable how people try to "cheat" the system. Her office gives out food once a week. The food comes from whoever donates it. So, its really a shot-in-the-dark as to what one would get each week. It's also in a rural area.

Anyway, my paltry SSDI is too much I don't qualify.

db

We used Angel Ministries when DH was laid-off, and you paid a small amount ($35) for a month's worth of food for 4 people. Even a few desserts. I actually am glad I learned about shelf-stable milk, for emergencies.

You could also buy vegetarian boxes, and things like that. They closed down sometime between DH' starting work again, and when he was no longer able to work because of his seizures.

I'm sorry that you feel so much shame and stigma associated with poverty! It's nothing to be ashamed of. You certainly didn't ask for it. Nobody asks for it.

But sometimes we have to do what we must.

Yes. And, from this remove, and reading the other posts in the topic, it is NOT food banks that suck (damn those generalizations), rather it is the policies of SOME food banks that are inadequate or objectionable,

Down with generalizations!