CrazyBoards.org

Can the flu aggravate anxiety disorders/psychiatric disorders?

This happens sometimes to me when I have gotten sick, but is because I haven't been able to keep meds down.

Have you been able to take your medications without throwing them up or have constant diarrhea)?

I'm sorry you got the flu!

yes i havent thrown up at all nor have i gone diarrhea.

Definitely happens to me. If I'm physically ill, my mental state always seems to deteriorate as well. I'm not sure why or if it's all just "in my head." 

i'm glad i'm not the only one. and i don't think it matters if it's in our heads, since technically everything is in our head. but definitely been down in the dumps and have been having thoughts that i don't like. i'm still not sure if it's me being sick causing this, other reasons, or because my prozac hasn't kicked in yet. oh well.

Getting sick for me is tough because I assume it's "teh crayzees" before I assume it's physical illness, even though it's often physical illness. Someone wise gave me the tip of treating them the same for the first three days.

One of my pdocs told me having the flu could actually trigger a depressive episode. He gave me a script for Tamiflu, but I never got it. He also told me to always get a flu shot, and I have done that sporadically. I did it this year, which is good, it sounds like there is a nasty strain of H1N1 going around. I had a version of H1N1 in 2009, and it was a month before I felt totally better.

I have had flu since Xmas. To be fair being stuck in without any social contact and neglecting my self care if I can't get out of bed usually does me in in terms of MI. I am lucky I had the Boyfriend to let me stay with him or I'd be batshit.

Getting sick for me is tough because I assume it's "teh crayzees" before I assume it's physical illness, even though it's often physical illness.

Me too. I always start with a headache or stomach upset and both are usually a sign of depression for me.

Having the flu makes me feel hellish body-wise and head-wise.  I get stuck  inside my head and have a hard time breaking thought cycles.  The last couple of times I've gotten sick, it has helped me to remind myself that feeling sick is a trigger for feeling "teh crazy".  And I try to separate my head games from what is really going on.

Yes, being sick definitely increases my MI symptoms.  I am in a constant fight to keep from being depressed, so anything that forces me to stay in bed for days at a time isn't a good thing, because that's what I do when I'm depressed. 

Over New Year's I caught the bad virus that's been going around work, and then it came back again last week, so I'm really tired of staying in the house and not physically feeling like doing anything.  Actually today I was considering calling my pdoc since it seems like I'm sliding down the slope towards the abyss again.

But tomorrow is supposed to be more normal temperature-wise, so at least I will be able to get out and get a few minutes of sunlight.  It's been so cold the last few days that I haven't gone outside at all, and I know that messes with my head, too.