CrazyBoards.org

My doc has decided to prescribe Lyrica to help with my fibromyalgia pain, particularly to help with sleep. Due to pain I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep in ages. He gave me a sample to try and I've tried it twice and it really did improve the quality of my sleep those two nights. 

I've read quite a bit about it from a clinical standpoint, but I wanted to get a sense from members here about personal experiences with it. I'm curious about side effects, effectiveness, and difficulty with dosage changes/getting off it. Also, does it "poop out" like other meds do over time? 

I don't have fibromyalgia but I have taken Lyrica in the past. 

I found that it was very good for nerve-related pain. It does have a short half-life so if you want decent coverage, you need to take it twice a day. Although I found it too sedating to take it every day so I would take it whenever my pain spiked. It was very good for sleep!

I'm not sure how much you're on, but I found I had to raise my dose now and again. 

I was on 150mg [75mg x 2] a day for a bit, but then I started taking 75mg PRN instead. Sometimes I'll end up taking 150mg PRN, depending on how my body went. So basically also a low dose. I found Lyrica less sedating if I'd taken it after a meal, but I certainly never comfortable doing things like driving after taking it. 

My husband was on it for a few months for a nerve injury. It sedated him terribly. He would get up, be awake but dopey for a few hours then be out like a light for hours. Repeat. He said he barely remembers life when he was taking it because he was so tired all the time.

Other than that he had about 12kgs weight gain on it which came as a surprise as he generally finds it hard to gain weight. It all came right off once he went off it though.

In the end it wasn't really helping so he decided to stop.

I have fibro but haven't tried it. Interested to hear how you go :) Good luck!

OK, sorry, but every time I'm reading the "new content" headers and I pass this thread I think it's called "Lyrics for Fibromyalgia." I'm afraid the best I can do is a limerick for it. This is dedicated to my sister-in-law.

Dear Fibromyalgia: You suck

For my plans you just don't give a fuck

I live each day in pain

as my doc wracks her brain

but so far with the treatments, no luck.

OK, sorry, but every time I'm reading the "new content" headers and I pass this thread I think it's called "Lyrics for Fibromyalgia." I'm afraid the best I can do is a limerick for it. This is dedicated to my sister-in-law.

I live each day in pain

That just made my day!

I live each day in pain

I once took three limericks a day and it still didn't help with the pain. :o

But more seriously the Lyrica helps a little. I'm sleeping somewhat better,  but the major aches and pains are still there, and the effects have diminished quickly over time. This seems a trend for me - I don't build tolerance, I adapt like a fucking Borg. Two or three days after taking a medication that helps it loses effectiveness. This has been going on for years. 

Le sigh.