CrazyBoards.org

How Would You Feel

Today, I had my psychiatrist appointment. I told her about the self-harm incident the other day. I get very nervous telling anyone about it, but I was brave today and I told her. 

What does she say to me? 

"Aren't you a little too old to be cutting yourself? That's not normal behavior. blah blah blah....." 

Now, I feel like crap. I was not validated at all. If I self-harm again, I will not bother to tell anyone, except for on here where I can get real help and support. I am upset that people think that only teenagers do this. It is such a lie. Adults do it too.  :angry: I had also told my psychiatrist that I am hearing more voices. She never bothered to change my meds. I am wondering if it is time for me to get a new psychiatrist. I go to my psychiatrist, wait for sometimes 30 minutes, only to have a 10 minute appointment with no support or validation, and no med changes. 

I feel guilty for telling her about my self-harm.

Have you ever been told that you are too old to self-harm? If so, how did you feel after that?

Edited by InfiniteInsanity

I think that was a ridiculous thing for her to say. I'm sure you felt bad enough already, and didn't need her pathologizing you. You should be proud of yourself for telling her, regardless of her reaction. It was a brave thing to do, and I'm sorry that she treated you otherwise.

Oh wow. That would have pissed me off pretty badly, maybe enough to walk out.

If you have any recourse, think seriously about finding a different provider, especially where she's not taking your symptom reports into consideration, either. What she said to you is unprofessional and rude, and you don't have to tolerate it.

Well done on taking the initiative and telling her, though. It's hard to do, and it takes considerable guts. Try not to let this poison your future interactions with pdocs and tdocs; there are good ones to be found.

You were very brave to raise this with your pdoc, and you should not feel guilty for reaching out for help.  I'm so sorry that instead of listening and offering support, she invalidated your feelings and experience like that - and that she used the word "normal"!  My self harm was at its worst in my early thirties, and neither my pdoc nor tdoc at the time said anything about my age.

FWIW, it sounds like there's been a breakdown in trust between you and her, and that is a key part of the patient-pdoc relationship.  If the option to move to a new care provider is open to you, I'd encourage you to look into it.

It's pretty dumb that your pdoc would say that.

Sounds like they need more education about self harm and not being patronizing toward their patients.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

It would be really good feedback to give if you decided not to see her again.

Sorry your pdoc said that and I can more than understand your being upset about the incident. Cutting doesn't know an age limit and there are lots of adults who self-harm too, but some reason cutting is seen as a teenager thing; most frustrating.

Sounds like your pdoc doesn't have experience dealing with adult cutters to me. Given how things came down, I don't blame you for not telling them about when you self-harm. Perhaps it's time to find a different pdoc?

What an ignorant thing for your pdoc to say. What you did do is take an initiative to address problems and ask for help and it sounds like your pdoc was completely invalidating. SI is a coping skill, not necessarily a good one, but it is not age determinant as to whether or not you engage in SI behaviors. If they didn't know what to do or say they should have said let me go do some research on this and let's meet about some possible solutions. Seems like you're having some issues let try and figure out what a solution can be. I don't get why some MH professionals are so judgmental and ignorant. I want to tell you don't let this dissuade you from all providers, there are a few good ones. But I have also had my share of bad ones. Starting with someone new sucks too So I understand. I'm sorry that happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...