CrazyBoards.org

lamotrigine for BPii depression

Probably my favorite drug ever!  I was first prescribed it about five years ago as an add-on to the Wellbutrin I had been taking for about ten years before that.  The WB was augmented several times during depressive episodes, as my original diagnosis was MDD recurrent.  But my current pdoc, at my first visit with him, said that he suspected BP II, or as he put it, there's clearly some sort of cycle going on.  He has been proved right beyond a doubt.  I have been functioning and continuously employed for over six years now.

I've never had any definable hypomania, but in looking back over my life (I'm 54), I've certainly made several sight-unseen moves for work, including overseas, so you could find some hypomanic tendencies if you look hard enough.

Lamictal makes me drowsy so I take it at night, and I had a bad headache for a few days at every dose increase, but otherwise no side effects.  I take a generic version but Lamictal is easier to spell!

I'm on it and it works very well.  It kind of made me a little hypo, so my pdoc added a small dose of an AP to go with it.  I also take trazadone for sleep.  Did not gain weight.  Actually lost a little, but I think that was when we added the AP (geodon).  I have had some cognitive brain fuzz - slight short term memory issues - but it's gotten better over time and I have tools that I use to compensate (notes, alarms, reminders, etc.) Don't know if it was the lamictal or one of the other meds that caused the brain fuzz.  Maybe it was just me getting old.  

Awesome!

Thank you people. That is nice to see that all of you have said it was good!

I am hoping it will be that way for me also. :)

Just started at 25mg, so quite low, but as you'd all know it has to be titrated slowly. I am hoping to notice positive effects soonish!

Lamictal is one of the front-line drugs for bipolar 2. A lot of people have had success with it, as you can see. Best luck!

The titration can be bumpy, but once you hit the "right dose", you'll know it.

I have BP nos or BPII but lean towards depression. I did have one hypo when I was tirating but I am 98% sure this was due to trazadone as a med related hypo.  But other then geting sick during tiration (physical lots of gastro-intestinal issues, for two weeks it was baaaad) but so worth it. I have been more balanced since I started takein git. I dont swing quite as deep as I did before it as oposed to 10 I only go to 7.5-8, this is a huge improvement.