CrazyBoards.org

First off, I have to explain that I am currently a post graduate student doing my masters in visual arts. As such, my research is of a visual nature in its final format. There is a long history of reading and writing about medical history behind all my artwork, however, and all that writing and reading is what leads up to my finished works. 

These images are of abandoned asylums from around 2009. I did a large series of these during my BFA. There are 30 or more works in total and they are fairly large canvases. These four are some of my favourites.

I am currently working on another project for my masters that I am very secretive about. It is hugely different from what you see here. I might share some of it when it is finished because mental health, in regards to its history, will undoubtedly play a part. 

I will also have to dig up my articles because i raid the medical databases on a regular basis and I have a medical history treasure trove of articles, books, images, videos etc...

Cool.  The one of the hallway reminds me a bit of some of Anselem Kiefer's work.  

Good luck on your MFA.  I'm working on the same degree myself.  Mental health influenced my work but less directly than with yours I think.  I'd be interested in seeing your current work!  

Cool.  The one of the hallway reminds me a bit of some of Anselem Kiefer's work.  

Good luck on your MFA.  I'm working on the same degree myself.  Mental health influenced my work but less directly than with yours I think.  I'd be interested in seeing your current work!  

What are you studying? Are you doing a thesis? I'm doing a practice based masters with an exegesis instead of a thesis. I could have chosen to do a thesis for the same degree instead, but I was partial to doing more artwork than writing. 

As for my work and my illness, they are not connected in any way. I don't like painting about myself because besides my illness, I have a quiet and normal life with little in it to inspire a work of art, much less a series. I find myself boring. My subject of choice is historical subjects, usually medical in nature. I have been fascinated by medical history since I was a kid, and it never went away. I find that mental illness as a subject has a fascinating history to read about and put into work, and that is what lead to these works.

Very nice!

I appreciate these, thanks for sharing your work.

wow....these are amazing. I love them. thanks for posting for us to see.

Thanks to you all, I feel kind of lame just posting the art, but I was too lazy to dig out the hard drive and go fishing for the research behind them. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      I'm wondering if anyone here has used Disability / Counseling services while in university (either undergrad or post-grad)?  Was it worth it? Do they disclose to your professors or course advisor there, or is it completely confidential?
      Did you have to notify them immediately when enrolling about your mental health "disability" or did you tell them afterwards? Do they have licensed Therapists and Psychiatrists? What other types of support did they provide (ex: extended deadlines for exams or thesis, more tutorial help outside class)?
    • By saoirse
      I'm in my twenties and a mixture of physical and mental illnesses has kept me from getting my degree thus far. For a while, the physical illness was the worst -- I would sleep 22 hours a day and be a zombie for the two hours I was awake. 
      But now... I'm ready to go back to school. I was studying Mandarin Chinese before I dropped out and now I want to study Econ as well. Some people in my family seem hesitant, afraid that a double major in two relatively challenging subjects (hello, Chinese) might cause my mental illness to suffer and my stress level to rocket. But I love these subjects and I want to get my degree in them. How do I convince my family that I'll be okay? They're helping me out in the money department so I can't just go ahead and do whatever I want, unfortunately. My twin brother is currently getting his PhD in Physics and I'm so tired of feeling like a failure in comparison to him, too. 
    • By Schluribumbi
      Hey guys and girls
      Me and a friend of mine made a short film about a young man starting to suffer from schizophrenia. We have a friend who has schizophrenia, and we talked with psychiatrists and read a loooot of books in order to understand it better and make a fitting movie. I really love this part of the internet, so I thought I’d post the link to the movie here. It takes about 15min to watch and is filmed in swissgerman with english subtitles.
      Here is the link to the movie: https://succeedshortfilm.com
      But be advised, although there aren’t any disturbing images, it could trigger some of you because it shows the effects of a schizophrenic escalation.
      Do you like the movie? Do you think it's authentic?
      Kind Regards and take care 
      Luki

• By Blahblah
      1.) How many people here have decided to forgo having children because you have Mental Health issues? Are you glad that you stayed childless?
      2.) If you DID have kids - do you regret your decision? Was it more (or less) challenging/upsetting/depressing than you expected?
      3.) Does anyone here feel that having kids was the most fulfilling, meaningful choice in their life? Why?
    • By cloudmonger
      Feeling so down and alone. Majorly triggered today by a family member who wrote an inane reply to my email (about how I'm severely depressed again and back on meds, struggling, often suicidal) suggesting:
      "Chin up, Look on the bright side, Journal about the positive things that happened to you today" "Make a Gratitude list" and the worst one "Don't Worry, Be Happy" because it's useless to stress about the things we cannot control."
      I seriously cannot believe she thinks this crap is helpful, caring, or empathetic in the slightest. I feel so shitty and alone in this world of people that don't understand anything about Mental Illness. How MORONIC can you be when you respond to a depressed/suicidal family member with an insipid trite quote? I can understand if it's an acquaintance or friend who doesn't really know you, but a Family member who has grown up with you, known you for life?
      I can't even speak with my own sibling, my spouse is totally clueless about my condition (goes off for beers with colleagues when I've been sobbing & starting new medication, probably because he wants to avoid me). What do you do when EVERYONE FAILS YOU - right when you need them the most? The health "System", your so-called "Friends" and then your own "Family"? Thank you for listening.