CrazyBoards.org

People that think that bi-polar disease can be the punchline in a joke.

spaceman

Don't know if the little picture will show up so if this is redundant oops.

There is a picture of a groundhog holding a sign that says he is bi-polar and everyone seems to thinks

it is a laugh riot and has been shared some 84 thousand times.  There are a few people that think it is in bad taste and a few people with bi-polar that agree and say lighten up it's funny.

Well I don't think it's funny at all and the so  called "bi-polar" people that defend it obviously don't have the kind of bi-polar that has destroyed my life,relationships and just about everything else that matters.  Everyone is getting on the bandwagon these days and claim they have it if they have any little problem or want to be the poster child for overcoming adversity.

I don't think it's funny at all and when I lurk on facebook and see how exciting and great everyones

life is I  don't want to be reminded how empty and sad my life is by something that everyone else thinks is funny!!

I think people that think that to reference this disease  in any HUMOROUS WAY SUCK AND IF ANY OF YOU HIGH FUNCTIONING BI-POLAR PEOPLE WHO WANNA CLAIM IT AND NOT BE OFFENDED SUCK TOO!!

This probably won't get many responses from anyone and many of you will say I am being too sensitive haven't been up all night trying to find things to entertain themselves for a while and help forget

this hell for a while!!

bi-polar.htm

bi-polar.htm

Edited by spaceman

I usually just respond to such jokes with "I don't get it" (I honestly don't, in this case). As they break it down, I keep saying "I don't get it" until we come to the baseline assumption. Then I say "Oh. I see the problem here. I guess I just don't find that funny because [fact that blows apart the assumption]"

It seems more productive to me than being annoyed about it. The fact that it's so popular shows how much ignorance there is. If they knew they wouldn't find it funny.

This is actually such a huge problem, people are more and more often using mental illnesses as adjectives and they have no idea how it oppresses us even more and mocks us, it's complete insensitivity. You wouldn't make jokes about cancer, and mental illnesses kill people too! Mind boggling ignorance and insensitivity. And I don't think one person with a mental illness has the right to be a spokesperson for the millions who suffer with mental disorders, if it doesn't offend some people fine, but for others these illnesses are crippling and there's 0% humor to be made out of that.

Edited by KatyKat

I could not open the attachments.  Generally I do not think any jokes about bipolar are funny.

well, except for when we saw a performance by a comedienne, Carrie Fisher, and she was very brave and open

about her severe illness - and it was funny at times

but it was also educational and heart breaking

I agree with you because someone that has bi-polar can use anecdotal experiences to poke fun at themselves and  someone

that doesn't have bi-polar could do the same thing in a humorous way but to say that the groundhog  was diagnosed with bi-polar as the punchline is just too much. I just can't see how a diagnosis of bi-polar could be funny in any context way shape or form because that can be a very tragic and life altering thing for anyone. 

I'm not as riled up as I was this morning but I stand behind that post 100% and if I had been arguring with someone about it

face to face II may have shown them a different kind of punch line ! lol

***To see the attachment click on it and then click on open attachment**

Edited by spaceman

Some jokes are funny, some are offensive. To me, it depends on how accurate they are. If I don't laugh at this sometimes, I'd completely lose it.

Did you correct them or tell them anything about your illness?

I can't complain because I'm too afraid to out myself with it in real life. So I just don't find it worth it to sweat the stupid jokes if I'm not going to try and do anything to educate even a small group of people, I guess. I'll do it anonymously, but I wouldn't on facebook so, eh.

It's sad that they have no idea what they are talking about and it's sad I'm sitting back and doing NOTHING about it. 

Also- I deleted facebook a while ago and one thing I do NOT miss is seeing all my friends leading more exciting lives than me. I feel better. 

I don't find jokes like that funny....they're stupid, and they offend the pedant in me....but I don't usually get worked up about them.  Sometimes I say something.

(And hey, no picking on us high-functioning folk!)

I hate it when people say "omg i'm so depressed" when they are having one bad day, but then i don't really hate them

because they haven't experienced real depression, they don't understand what they are saying is hurtful and offensive.

I do however really take objection to people who try and say things like " i relate, i feel down sometimes" or

"something must be making you feel this way, i felt upset when my hamster died" as if it's the same thing.

I'm feeling so bipolar today, guys. No seriously, it's like I woke up totally happy and now I'm sad because I had a bad day at work. I'm soooo crazy.

this is the way people respond to me everytime they find out im bipolar! and they mean it. even after I try to educate people. even family members that are supposed to get it! and the part is that they say it like they want to be bipolar and be included in an exclusive mental illness club! it bothers me so much because they've seen this illness destroy my life and if they're going to lump themselves in with me they might as well be saying "im bipolar (Moody) and I deal with it. why cant you?

ive also had psychosis when manic and I hate it when people think pyscotic and pyschopathic mean the same thing. so if you're pyschotic you must be on a murdering rampage.

ughhhh!

this is the way people respond to me everytime they find out im bipolar! and they mean it. even after I try to educate people. even family members that are supposed to get it! and the part is that they say it like they want to be bipolar and be included in an exclusive mental illness club! it bothers me so much because they've seen this illness destroy my life and if they're going to lump themselves in with me they might as well be saying "im bipolar (Moody) and I deal with it. why cant you?

ive also had psychosis when manic and I hate it when people think pyscotic and pyschopathic mean the same thing. so if you're pyschotic you must be on a murdering rampage.

ughhhh!

The thing I find frustrating is that the person saying these things is someone who is not very close and doesn't know anything about your condition. It also seems to happen out in a public place or in a social situation. Basically you have to give a strained "haha" to keep attention away from yourself and just seethe inwardly about it for awhile.

I hate it when people say "omg i'm so depressed" when they are having one bad day, but then i don't really hate them

because they haven't experienced real depression, they don't understand what they are saying is hurtful and offensive.

I do however really take objection to people who try and say things like " i relate, i feel down sometimes" or

"something must be making you feel this way, i felt upset when my hamster died" as if it's the same thing.

I have learned to keep very quiet about my condition with anyone outside of inner circles. The people who don't understand it are the last people I want knowing about my issues. Especially not psychosis, never, never share about psychosis. It's a friend killer, that one.

Depression has a lot more cloying misconceptions to deal with than psychosis though. There are so many myths built up around it. It's less taboo than other mental illnesses, and is even desirable by people in certain fashionable subcultures. But that is not serious depression they are desiring. They have such a screwed up concept of what depression really is because it is romanticised in movies, books, and is made vogue by celebrities. Maybe they were even put on an antidepressant by their GP few months awhile back.

If people knew about depression in full truth, I don't think they'd be as keen on "understanding" it, nor would they publicly go around declaring they have had it.

I would love to know of these fashionable subcultures where depression is desirable?!!!

I think it's the IDEA of depression that people find fashionable, i even did when i first experienced it, i thought it made

me interesting, with depths other people didn't have. But the cold hard reality is when you haven't washed for four

days, you wake up an cry everyday, struggle to maintain friends, a job, a boyfriend and you drag a pair of sissors across your arm, there is nothing fashionable or desirable about that.

I'm not annoyed with you Saintillo, just society.

It might be less Taboo, but because of this fact it is also open to a lot of people's misinformed interpretation.

I don't tell anyone about my depression any more, just my docters, family and very close friends know i have it.

Edited by neptunesky

I would love to know of these fashionable subcultures where depression is desirable?!!!

I think it's the IDEA of depression that people find fashionable, i even did when i first experienced it, i thought it made

me interesting, with depths other people didn't have. But the cold hard reality is when you haven't washed for four

days, you wake up an cry everyday, struggle to maintain friends, a job, a boyfriend and you drag a pair of sissors across your arm, there is nothing fashionable or desirable about that.

I'm not annoyed with you Saintillo, just society.

It might be less Taboo, but because of this fact it is also open to a lot of people's misinformed interpretation.

I don't tell anyone about my depression any more, just my docters, family and very close friends know i have it.

I just say fashionable because I remember in the late 90's, early 2000's there were a lot of goth-eque folk out there with personal websites (full of over contrasted images from Girl Interrupted and The Virgin Suicides). They would put up pictures of their "cutting"  and write lots of bad poetry. There were people I knew of who started cutting just to fit in with the others.

On forums, these people flaunted the word depression like it was a badge. They would try to outdo each other, as thought it was a game or something. You basically weren't "cool" if you weren't depressed in those circles. If you were on medication then you were even higher on the angst admiration hierarchy.

I knew a lot of these people because I followed various online, TV show fandoms during that time and frequented forums and personal webpages of other fans. Many of these people worshiped their angst. 

Generally, I saw this sort of behaviour is mostly in people around 16 to 22 years old.

Hi,

I'm guessing i just missed that whole goth/ girl interupted thing. I was 14 in 2001 when the depression started i didn't even have the internet until 2003 and i was 19 in 2006 when it was finally diagnosed.

I don't see depression and suicide romanticized that much in teenagers today, i see a lot of teenagers wanting to get them most out of life, having fun, posting videos on youtube and i think it's excellent that individuality is more celebrated.

The late 90's early 2000's were quite a long time ago now, 17-11 years ago, i think teenagers have defiantly changed. In High School all we had was msn messenger and text messages, camera phones had only just come out.

Edited by neptunesky

I don't see depression and suicide romanticized that much in teenagers today,

I see this type of thing on the news a lot on the relationship to bullying, and how the person/people being bullied either committed suicide, wanted to, were depressed because of it, and then some went on to other things.  But I'm pretty sure it isn't limited to the news.