CrazyBoards.org

How do you deal with the Weight Gain side effect?

Hello, all!

I am currently on Zyprexa 20mg and Depakote 1500mg and feel better than I have felt in so long.

HOWEVER...

Oh wow, the weight gain! It is so rapid and so much!

How do all of you deal with the weight gain caused by psychiatric meds?? Have you been able to lose weight or at least stabilize?? How? It has been so long since I have been in my ideal weight range. I am a 5'4 female and weigh 206 pounds now! Before psychiatric meds I always weighed between 110 and 130, depending on whether I was weight training or not. Now, granted some of the weight may just be getting older, but I am convinced most of it is medication related.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

I try and remind myself that I've already eaten enough and that my body doesn't need anymore food right now, and that it's just the medication making me hungry. It's easier said than done though, I always end up slipping up and overeating and am now overweight from it. Very annoying side affect. 

I gain weight on psychiatric meds (specially zyprexa) no matter what I eat. Actually I´ve been keeping a very healthy diet and exercise regularly.

The only thing that has helped control de weight has been metformin which was prescribed because zyprexa caused glucose intolerance/ insulin resistance.

After many years of taking metformin, it started losing its efficacy, so my doctor has to keep on increasing the dose. I am chubby but not as huge as the first years I took zyprexa

Edited by CookieN

Hi Dragonfly, 

I am on Zyprexa too, but at a much lower dose. I have gained weight on all of my medications, I find that Seroquel made me gain more then Zyprexa has. I try to exercise and cut out breads and sweets. I noticed that I will eat more on Zyprexa, Seroquel, etc. mostly at night after I take it. The thing I have noticed to do is be really careful with what and how much I eat, like I think " would I eat this much or eat this if I wasn't on this med" when I do that I am able to lose even if it is a pound or two.

Currently I am 5'2 and 130, I'm trying to get down to 120, I have lost a pound or two from doing this.  

Thanks to all of you! Thanks for all your ideas. I would consider metformin since it should not affect me psychiatrically. I am walking and also trying to watch what I eat. Anyone else??

Naltrexone works well and doesn't affect me psychiatrically.  Cuts food cravings a lot, and helped me to regulate my weight.  It is usually given to alcoholics and cigarette smokers to cut their cravings so they eventually stop the alcohol/cigarettes.  But my pdoc recommended it for me to cut food cravings and Idk what I'd do without it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dragonfly, i have gone from 138 lbs to a huge amount within 4 years. I had recovered from bulimia when i was 102lbs now i binge eat without purging.

I try and keep healthy and exercise, but my doctor say's it's worth being on the medication because it helps me, but in my mind it also causes depression for me as i dread going anywhere, it has take so much for me.

I'm going to bring it up with my docter today, and this time i'm not settling for their rubbish.

I wish you good luck with your meds.

Edited by neptunesky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you! Thanks for all your ideas. I would consider metformin since it should not affect me psychiatrically. I am walking and also trying to watch what I eat. Anyone else??

My psychiatrists have always looked at me baffled with furrowed brows whenever I'd suggested Metformin to offset weight gain with AAPs. Like they'd never heard of it. They usually said, "No, I don't know how that would help."

I finally broke down and bought black market Metformin from India, and it seemed to help sometimes but I don't even know it was real.

Texas mental health care is horrible. And I have pretty good insurance and have for years.