CrazyBoards.org

Eating When You Wake Up

Does anyone have the problem when you take a nap or wake up from the night (or whatever ... you wake up), that you have this craving that you HAVE to eat something, regardless if you are hungry or not?

Every time I wake up from anything, I automatically go for something to eat.  Like I crave food and have a huge urge to eat.

Even if I took 5 naps during the day, each time I would wake up I'd feel like I have to eat ... if I try to hold off and not eat, it is like I'm drawn to the kitchen.

So I end up eating like 7-8 times a day, because I fall asleep during the day all the time, and every time I wake up I *have to* have something to eat.  If I try to not eat (like if I am nowhere near hungry), the cravings and urge to eat gets worse.

Can anyone relate?

YES! I do this! I have always craved food right after a nap. Typically sweet stuff. Rather ALWAYS something with sugar. Every. Single. Time.

I thought that was unusual. Yes, it's a very strong and difficult to ignore craving.

But this is just when I nap. After sleeping at night, I can't fathom eating for a good 3-5 hours most of the time. It just seems gross. I find that odd.

Man, thought I was the only one. I wonder why that happens?

For me I will eat when I wake up (either from a nap or any other time) whether I am hungry or not.  I'm usually never hungry ... I'm just drawn to food and feel like I have to have it (or I can't get it out of my mind and go crazy thinking about it until I actually break down and have it). 

After that, when I am awake for awhile, I usually don't think about food as much.  It just really sucks when I fall asleep like 5 or 6 times a day because I wake up thinking about food, and can't stop thinking about it until I eat something.

I don't get hungry for a few hours after waking up but I think it's because of my morning double cup of coffee.

Our bodies are very sensitive to queues that signal they're getting fed. The queues prime the digestive system to start working and your stomach contractions start. It could be certain times of day - which is why if people are late to lunch they get cranky. It could also be seeing food, the smell, opening the fridge, etc. On top of that your stomach is probably pretty empty by then. In any case it's not the worst habit to have!

In any case it's not the worst habit to have!

You're right, but worry about putting on weight when I sleep for only an hour or maybe 2, then get up and eat.  And I do this maybe 2/3 of the day.  For some reason I rarely sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time.  So every time I wake up I eat.  I end up eating about 8 times a day on average.

You're right, but worry about putting on weight when I sleep for only an hour or maybe 2, then get up and eat.  And I do this maybe 2/3 of the day.  For some reason I rarely sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time.  So every time I wake up I eat.  I end up eating about 8 times a day on average.

they do say that eating lots of little meals a day is a very good habit.  I suppose if you were having 8 snickers that might not be too good. 

Is it possible you are waking up too often because you are not eating enough at one time?

Edited by water

they do say that eating lots of little meals a day is a very good habit.  I suppose if you were having 8 snickers that might not be too good. 

Is it possible you are waking up too often because you are not eating enough at one time?

No, definitely not.  I definitely eat enough to be full.  I know this because it has happened in the past where I haven't eaten enough, and I do wake up, and after that I have made sure I do eat.  Sometimes I'm already full though when I fall asleep unexpectedly, and then I am still full when I wake up, but eat anyway (if that makes sense).

I guess what I'm trying to explain is that regardless of whether I've eaten enough or am full already, I still wake up 1-2 hours after I fall asleep.  And I eat fairly healthy too ... rarely eat processed foods, rarely have caffeine (and am allergic to chocolate, so I definitely don't have that) ...

My neuro just upped my provigil dose which has helped immensely with sleeping.  I've gone down to 1 nap from the 2/3/4 I've been needing during the day.  I still find I eat frequently on the higher dose, but it is because I am actually hungry.  When I was waking up I was never hungry ... I just ate; it was like I was a magnet drawn to the kitchen/food.