CrazyBoards.org

I was just wondeirng how people came to get their diagnosis of SZA and also how they experience it.

I am currently BPii but my Psychiatrist is mulling over SZA currently as she believes I am having psychotic symptoms and at the moment- my mood is "base". I question the psychotic symptoms because I KNOW Slasher is real- but apparently because no one else can hear him he's not. Well I am here to say HE IS.

But nevertheless I was just wondering what happend for others to get the diagnosis and also how SZA is for you?

I had schizoaffective as a rule out since i was dx, but my working dx was bpI for a long time.  When I started coming out of a psychotic episode I realized how strange some of my thoughts were and that they probably were delusions.  My pdoc changed my dx because I had had long periods of stable mood with psychotic symptoms, but I have been manic in the past. It didn't change my meds much, my aap was raised at the time.  As far as my experience, when I was more symptomatic my symptoms were mostly delusions, hallucinations, paranoia not so much mood. But, I have been pretty stable on my meds and haven't had psychotic symptoms in years.

As far as psychotic symptoms, sometimes people around me notice symptoms before I do.

My diagnosis changed from BP 1 when I was feeling perfectly fine and was still hallucinating. At the time I didn't know that I had been hearing voices for a long time but those were always around as well. I guess I should word that differently. I didn't know that what I was hearing in (and out) of my head wasn't normal. Previous and current pdoc did/are still go back and forth about BP 1 vs sza but the most recent I've heard from current pdoc is that since I'm still hallucinating outside of depression or mania, it's sza. I don't have any delusions and my paranoia isn't strong very often, it kinda flares up.

How I got diagnosed: I went through all the mood disorder labels, basically. Initially was diagnosed with MDD, a label I had for several years. Then BP II when people started taking my mood swings more seriously. Then BP with psychotic features when I mentioned some psychotic symptoms. Then finally with SZA when I had a period of delusional thinking without mood symptoms. 

It took a while to work out whether I was SZA or BP. My first pdoc was adamant I wasn't SZA because I was too "high functioning" (whatever that's supposed to mean) but my current pdoc believes it's the best label to describe my symptoms. 

How SZA is for me: Currently I'm asymptomatic. I haven't had any psychosis since July 2012, and no major mood issues for almost a year (I get ups and downs, but they're manageable and are a normal part of life). I don't take any psych meds, although I keep Zyprexa around as a Big Red Panic Button, and have regular therapy sessions.

When I was symptomatic, depression was the main issue for me. Psychosis was secondary and mainly consisted of delusions.  

Thank you so much people :)

I was really confused when I heard it being thrown around. After a couple days to think and reading a little bit about it- plus hearing you all describe- I can see for sure how it fits

Reverse- your symptoms/journey sounds like me a lot!

I apparently get delusional thinking and paranoia which can range from mild to excessive. Sometimes some hallucinations too. Mostly voices. Seeing as the last of the psychotic symptoms happened at 'base' mood for me I see where my psych is coming from. Though I still think I'm not delusional :/ but anyway

I found the label confronting at first because it made me more aware that the psychotic episodes were a big deal. It made me have to acknowledge they existed because there was a part of me that didn't want said acknowledgement. However, I've noticed in the greater scheme of things, it doesn't really matter as much because it's treating the symptoms that matter, moreso than getting an actual label. 

I was diagnosed because I was having psychotic symptoms pretty much all the time, with or without a mood aspect, but very prominent bipolar disorder.

I find it to be a confusing label.

At the moment, my mood is slightly hypomanic, and I'm a bit delusional.. Maybe 4 out of 10. I hide it well...

I was just wondeirng how people came to get their diagnosis of SZA and also how they experience it.

It started out as depression, then eventually to bipolar 2, to bipolar 1, then when I started hearing things/seeing things it was changed to SZA.  I was observed though for about 6 weeks IP before I got that diagnosis.

My experiences with it are that I did so many embarrassing things that I regret over many years, but usually I hear voices and see things that aren't there.  I've learned to keep things to myself because chances are it isn't really a real person saying something.  I usually only respond out loud to someone if they speak directly to me; otherwise I will just think what I want to say because chances are it is not a real person.

I first received the dx in one of my IP stays. It changes from BP to SZA depending on what doc you speak to. Currently, my pdoc has me labeled as SZA. I pretty much have constant symptoms. I don't realize it many of the times, my therapist or pdoc lets me know. It's strange territory.

I've been okay, I guess. Just trying to live my life, as difficult as that could be at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks people for sharing.

I'm still feeling shocked by the label as it DOES mean that my Dr thinks I am psychotic . Which I do feel is confronting.

But I do agree that it is about the symptoms more than the label. Though I will always just say I have BP.....

edit- Do you find you get much symptom free time?

I find if I am not in a mood episode (I rapid cycle) that the voices/people still linger :( and I seem to often have a residual depressed tone to my mood almost constantly

Edited by miss-e

Do you find you get much symptom free time?

No, not much.  Once in awhile I'll realize I am not hearing voices at a given moment, but otherwise I am constantly hearing something.

MEH :(

I am sorry. It's so shitty

I have had been SZA for many years.I've been to in at least 5 mental hospitals been ginnie pig had bad side effects.Been put on just about all meds for SZA Im a cutter Found Thorzen to work best for me if not on have bad time with hulosinations grown to control voices.

My diagnosis changed from BP 1 when I was feeling perfectly fine and was still hallucinating. At the time I didn't know that I had been hearing voices for a long time but those were always around as well. I guess I should word that differently. I didn't know that what I was hearing in (and out) of my head wasn't normal. Previous and current pdoc did/are still go back and forth about BP 1 vs sza but the most recent I've heard from current pdoc is that since I'm still hallucinating outside of depression or mania, it's sza. I don't have any delusions and my paranoia isn't strong very often, it kinda flares up.