CrazyBoards.org

Fatigue from repetitive thoughts

Hi all, I wanted to ask does anyone suffer with instant fatigue when they have repetitive thoughts occurring? Usually I don't but for some reason when certain thoughts enter my mind of late I get struck down with serious levels of fatigue and often need to lie down for a while. I wondered if others encounter this.

thanks

Not in the quite the way you describe, but yeah.

For me, I feel low, then the repetitive and intrusive thoughts kick in. They gather momentum and I feel agitated and restless, then I find myself tempted to feed the thoughts (staying awake, consuming sugar and caffiene) which tires me out, then I crash into depression. The time period for this might be 12 hours, it's not a mood episode for me, it's just the way I experience it. But yes, I feel physically exhausted, in fact, I AM physically exhausted from it.

Not in the quite the way you describe, but yeah.

For me, I feel low, then the repetitive and intrusive thoughts kick in. They gather momentum and I feel agitated and restless, then I find myself tempted to feed the thoughts (staying awake, consuming sugar and caffiene) which tires me out, then I crash into depression. The time period for this might be 12 hours, it's not a mood episode for me, it's just the way I experience it. But yes, I feel physically exhausted, in fact, I AM physically exhausted from it.

Yeah, I dropped a night's sleep the other night for precisely the same reason. Cannot stop thoughts repeating, so then I'm physically and mentally tired. 

when i'm in a ruminating cycle that i can't break i often feel exhausted.  i think sometimes it's my brain's attempt to just shut down and sleep for awhile and make the thoughts go away.  i don't have OCD though just "extremely obsessive tendencies" as my tdoc would say.

Yes! When I used to ruminate it exhausted until I figured out OCD's little trick and it took a lot of practice and time but I don't even know how to ruminate on my own anymore....Like I'll be on another forum and someone will say something that will make me spike a little but it really never sticks.....But yes I used to exhausted from it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the guided meditation apps help.

I always feel annoyed when people tell me to distract myself from my intrusive thoughts and ruminations.. But I find remembering to breath and guided meditation apps or even you tube sometimes works .

If you can be distracted of course go with that . Sometimes an audiobook , TV , or a video game on my phone will work for me .

Mostly those guided meditation apps really help you relax and it's way easier then trying to meditate on one's own .

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.  My "theory" on it is that the adrenaline released by the fears associated with our obsessive thoughts is what is exhausting us.  I'm not a doctor and there is no scientific factual backing to this but it makes sense in my head.

I know how you feel.  It's as if the life has been sucked right out of you.  I do the same thing.. go to caffeine, which never helps.  They only seem to make it worse but we're expected to function and move around I guess.

I could have sworn I already responded... maybe it went to the ether...

anyway... I think this happens to me because I get information processing overload. All the textures, colors, sounds, smells, etc get heightened in my perceptions and it's exhausting to try to figure out what truly needs my attention.

I find that if I try to distract myself that I tend to get more disconnected. But sometimes distraction is the best I can do in that moment. I do best when I can reduce the sensory input, preferably by closing my eyes, maybe laying down to rest just a bit, in a quiet place.

• 1 month later...

Yes, very much so. Some days/nights the fatigue is worse than other days/nights.

I think when emotions/moods (how you are handling things) are also mixed into the massive mess of things, also effects tiredness/fatigue(the alike)

I have the same problem.  My "theory" on it is that the adrenaline released by the fears associated with our obsessive thoughts is what is exhausting us.  I'm not a doctor and there is no scientific factual backing to this but it makes sense in my head.

I know how you feel.  It's as if the life has been sucked right out of you.  I do the same thing.. go to caffeine, which never helps.  They only seem to make it worse but we're expected to function and move around I guess.

This! I have been trying to pin point for a while now - but adrenaline is perfect wording!

I also find it horrible - i get a drink of pepsi and later on my heart is beating out of my chest with the horrible thoughts.. ( heart pounding is brought on from 'freak outs' - that is possible bipolar... - ugh )

Edited by Light