CrazyBoards.org

Hypnosis session

I have never been hypnotized.  However my therapist told me to never get involved in things in which my mind was not present and focused. Meaning meditation, etc.

People with depersonalization or dissociation, must focus on living in the present. Avoid practices in which the mind was somewhere else. That is what my therapist told me.

Some people do successfully use hypnosis with some of their alters; others say EMDR works similarly. But the very concept of either of them scares the living daylights out of me! I wouldn't do it. 

I figure that I'm perfectly capable of leaving whatever the world is doing already. I don't need the help, and I don't need to practice it. 

How are you feeling now? Is time behaving a little bit better?

I have been hypnotized several times and am told that I am a good hypnosis subject.  There is nothing about hypnosis, per se, that would result in the symptoms you describe, unless the hypnotist had given a suggestion that the subject was seeing those kinds of effects.  Hypnosis is largely harmless - no one can hypnotize you to do something you feel strongly that you shouldn't do, and no one can hypnotize you to death.  There is some risk for highly suggestible persons should they meet unethical hypnotists, but hypnosis isn't mind control.  That said, I would certainly advise anyone suffering from DID or dissociation to approach hypnosis with caution.  I don't have either disorder, but a couple of years ago I did have an intriguing hypnosis experience related to identity.  As a young adult I segregated my psyche into two warring halves and added a third "self" as an adult to mediate between them - a state of affairs that continues today.  One of the two original halves never speaks in my head.  I met a hypnotist who put me under and proceeded to not only engage my voiceless self in extended conversation, but persuaded the voiceless self to lock the other self in a cell inside my mind so he wouldn't interfere.  It was a bizarre session.

CookieN, are you quite sure that your therapist meant that you shouldn't meditate?  The very purpose of meditation is to increase mindfulness and focus.

Cerberus

My personal opinion is that if I have to lie on a questionnaire to protect ourselves then I should excuse myself and say that I suddenly forgot about a meeting (or whatever excuse works for you). It isn't really fair that a half-credit is held over your head, and then you could risk being disqualified. What about people who answered honestly? Do they not get the half-credit? Or do they get it for being honest? It doesn't really seem ethical, if you think about that way, eh?

I'm glad that you're feeling better!

• 4 weeks later...

I know multiples for whom hypnosis was their main form of therapy and they were satisfied with the experience.  I've also heard dissociation being referred to as a form of autohypnosis itself. We have tried it on several occassions. It was good and bad. In the long run helpful but at the time painful because some intense memories surfaced and stuff. It did make it easier for some of the alters who tend to lurk inside and not come out, to actually come talk to the tdoc. Bottom line, depends on the person and the goal.