CrazyBoards.org

Talking yourself through negative/intrusive thoughts

I have had terrible negative/intrusive thoughts ruminating on and off. Most of the day I am fine, but if I am given a free second of distraction free time I begin to dive into a sea of thoughts that are false and too hard to face. I think I learned a good coping mechanism, and that is to talk myself through the irrational thoughts and that seems to be helping. The likely hood of the thought is so slim it's hard to believe I would even think such a thing. Thankfully, I have the support of Buspar which I think is helping by allowing myself to talk it through within myself.

I don't believe there is a miracle med out there that takes away unwanted false thoughts, but I do think the Buspar is helping ME to help ME.

Anyone do the same, talking it through to yourself?

I find when I have ruminating, obsessive thoughts I have the urge to keep thinking them through in the belief that I can think my way out of them. But usually the opposite happens - I just get sucked in deeper until I totally lose perspective. I've found the only way to get out of them is a combination of medications and distracting myself with work.

Latuda has been my miracle med, but I wouldn't take it if there was any other way. I don't think taking an antipsychotic is the greatest thing long-term. It's just that I get pretty sick without it.

Ruminating is hard to stop, but it never leads anywhere good.  Have you tried any CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)?  There are techniques such as thought stopping (whenever you catch yourself thinking a thought over and over, imagine a big, red stop sign in your head.  You'll probably have to do it several times before the thought fades or goes away).  There's also using a thought record.  Basically you write down the thought and then analyze how much truth the thought holds.  

I found several interesting techniques on this website: http://www.morninglightcounseling.org/healing-a-recovery/67-tools-for-recovery/132-handouts-on-cbt-skills

I hope this helps.