CrazyBoards.org

When depressed, do you ever have the desire to stop talking altogether?  It feels like it takes so much energy right now to think and to speak.  I'm speaking as little as possible outside of work, but it would be such a relief to just not have to talk at all. 

Yes, absolutely. During my school years it got so bad at times that people would think I was mute and caused such a fuss when I did talk. But I just didn't want to, didn't have the energy to. And I still have episodes where talking is the absolutely last thing I want to do, even if it's just to comment on the weather. The bare minimum I can get out is an "Excuse me.." when in someone's way or a meager "Thank you" when necessary and of course my favorite "Sorry" for everything and anything.

That's one major sign that my depression is getting worse.

It starts by me feeling relieved (more than usual) to get home from work. I stop saying "hi" or "thank you" to the salespersons at my local foodstore (which is a big part of my day-to-day communication outside work).

By the time I stop checking my email (mostly ads and spam) and dread that my phone rings or I receive an sms (and if that happens, I don't answer or read the sms) I'm at that point where I should get help as soon as possible... which I can't do, because any communication is plain impossible.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

I'm not a fan of general "light conversation" at the best of times, except with a very few people I know well where we can happily ramble (going nowhere in particular for no particular reason)  because both parties know what is going on: that no game is being played, that the will be no sudden explosions from a toe trodden non, a convention or taboo outraged.  Just enjoying words and thoughts, wherever they happen to wander.

Now that I find both relaxing, and rare.

Otherwise I find conversation something of a demanding high alert activity because of the lack of certainty in the sort of things mentioned above, and the less I have in the way of reserves of effort and concentration, the less I am inclined to engage, right up to distinct aversion.

Chris.

Yes, this happens to me a lot when I am depressed. I also find that it is so hard to write so keeping a journal or writing in my blog is very difficult even when I have something I want to say. The words just aren't there.

When depressed, do you ever have the desire to stop talking altogether?  

Yes, this happens to me too. When seriously depressed and isolating I can go for days without saying a word aloud. It's almost impossible to talk to people when I do have to interact with others too, it's like my brain is stuck in a vat of cold molasses...

I also get this when depressed. If I'm isolating (which is close to a given when depressed), I can go for days and days without speaking a word out loud. 

This used to happen to me a lot when I was not getting along with anyone and had no friends, even on-line.  I would go days without speaking out loud (I would communicate with people in my mind though; the voices were all I had).  Then one day I started to speak and it was almost as if I had forgotten how.  And I literally had a hard time speaking words, even though I actually had something to say.  I could think perfectly what I was trying to say, but I couldn't form the words out loud.

That's one major sign that my depression is getting worse.

It starts by me feeling relieved (more than usual) to get home from work. I stop saying "hi" or "thank you" to the salespersons at my local foodstore (which is a big part of my day-to-day communication outside work).

By the time I stop checking my email (mostly ads and spam) and dread that my phone rings or I receive an sms (and if that happens, I don't answer or read the sms) I'm at that point where I should get help as soon as possible... which I can't do, because any communication is plain impossible.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

This is completely me.  When my depression is getting worse I sink into myself and it is hard to pull out.  

• 1 month later...

Yes! Most definitely...........I hate talking when I am depressed. I just feel so bleh. I become lazy and start spending so much alone time while I am depressed and staying to myself that I literally drive myself stir crazy. Most definitely hate talking though when I'm feeling down unless I want to gripe about something lol. I feel your pain life.

It's harder for me to talk when depressed. I can't think and have thought blocking too. So that doesn't help. But I often keep saying "I don't know" to everything.

This. I'm a quiet person in general, but I definitely get worse the worse my depression gets. I get to the point where I basically nod/shrug and say "dunno" or "ok" and that's it. It is not always noticed (very quickly) because, as I said, I tend to be a listener not a talker.