CrazyBoards.org

Help! ECT for mixed states (I did try the ECT section first)

Hello, I posted about this originally in the actual ECT section but I have not been successful in getting many responses. I'm posting it here in hopes i get more responses and it is bipolar related.

Has anyone here had ECT specifically to treat mixed states? If you have, please let me know about how effective it was and how you even got to that point where it was even considered.

If you are not comfortable sharing publicly on this thread, please message me. It's very important.

I need to collect some patient experiences with ECT being used for the treatment of mixed states because I am at wits end with 11 years of meds still not quite cutting it. My doctors didn't even give me a full sentence when I brought it up. I was cut down and the big fix for my issue was yet another med change. 

I would not even have known about ECT if I had not been researching information on treatments for mixed episodes on proper medical databases in well respected scientific journals. This isn't something I just wove up out of nothing. I was desperate, and it was the only option being written about that I hadn't tried. I got the idea directly from a scientific study notfrom myself.

Please pm or reply with your experience if you have one. I'm not naming people here or publicly publishing them. I just need a back up so the wall that shoots up when the subject is broached, goes up a bit slower.

My pdoc is usually really reasonable, but she seems unwilling to even discuss this. i need something besides those studies to show her i"m not making this up and that it real does happen with apparently pretty good outcomes. You'd think the studies would be better, but I guess not.

Edited by saintalto

Yes. I had ECT several years ago. It saved my life. Of that, I am convinced. I had unrelenting mixed episodes. I tried a bunch of meds. I did IOP. I did IP. Nothing helped. They threw every med they had at me. Nothing helped. Well, nothing until ECT. If you're to the point where they are considering ECT for you then you should seriously consider doing it.

Thanks for posting. I can't get any psychiatrists to even consider it. They seem so opposed to the idea and just changed my meds again instead. Thanks for that, I did mention it's been 11 years and nothing has stabilised me enough to function at a reasonable level or is able to effectively prevent serious episodes from happening. Oh well. I'll do what they say and when it comes down to it, if it doesn't work, I'm going to put my foot down about considering other options besides adding another pill. 

I merged the two topics together on the ECT board because we don't do double posting here.

I've had ECT for depression, its made my lows practically non-existant, my high's lower, but hasn't done much for mixed states. I just have them less often. ECT is a pretty big decision, and is generally used as a last resort, after almost all meds are tried. Its not something taken lightly.

I merged the two topics together on the ECT board because we don't do double posting here.

I've had ECT for depression, its made my lows practically non-existant, my high's lower, but hasn't done much for mixed states. I just have them less often. ECT is a pretty big decision, and is generally used as a last resort, after almost all meds are tried. Its not something taken lightly.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how that worked because I technically wanted to switch the original post, but didn't know how, so I made a new one. I did wait awhile on the original post before re-posting, though. It just seems that not many people frequent that part of the forum.

Yeah it isn't light for me at all. I didn't set out looking up the subject specifically, I stumbled on it during my research into mixed states. I was just at wits end, if you know what I mean. My husband even sees hope on it and has looked into it on his own when I told him about it. I remember long ago telling it about him as general, unrelated topic and he had the usually aversion/fear of it due to the common misconceptions attached. Both of us are keen, and that says something. We haven't had anything very hope-filled when it comes to treatment in a long, long time.

I made the lithium addition a few days ago, as ordered, and I am open to it improving my situation. But... I am not going to get all excited or get my hopes up. I have tried lithium in the past for around 6 months. I don't know why they are so sure it is going to work this time. 

Edited by saintalto

Have you tried a typical AP (Thorazine, haldol, stelazine, prolixin, etc)? And you've only tried 3 AAP's (no zyprexa? Latuda? Fanapt? Saphris? Geodon? Invega? Seroquel XR? Etc). And no older or sedating AD's either (remeron, cymbalta, trazodone, amiptriptyline -sp? Like TCA's or MAOI's etc).

ECT wasn't even brought up for me by a pdoc until I'd tried all the AAP's and a typical AP and most mood stabilizers and practically all the AD's (except the new new ones that just came out recently like that vibryd).

Have you tried a typical AP (Thorazine, haldol, stelazine, prolixin, etc)? And you've only tried 3 AAP's (no zyprexa? Latuda? Fanapt? Saphris? Geodon? Invega? Seroquel XR? Etc). And no older or sedating AD's either (remeron, cymbalta, trazodone, amiptriptyline -sp? Like TCA's or MAOI's etc).

ECT wasn't even brought up for me by a pdoc until I'd tried all the AAP's and a typical AP and most mood stabilizers and practically all the AD's (except the new new ones that just came out recently like that vibryd).

I really don't know, I do what I'm told. I probably will end up on something or another endlessly. That's how it always is. 

I am loathe to even research anything, to be honest. I don't think it's good for me, but I just had to, and I really saw hope in something. 

You must know how that is, to lose hope for anything better, and then, in the resignation something comes along that seems like it has potential. The whole word just brightens.

Then they changed meds. Again.

I don't want to be defeated here, but it's getting harder not to be. My situation gets worse with each year. The mixed states are more intense, more frequent, and less controllable. Meds help, they do, but they see like bandaids plastered over a black hole.

Edited by saintalto

I was diagnosed in the midst of a horrible mixed episode. We tried a few drugs with no success. Way too many side effects for me to deal with on a continual basis and I was new and probably didn't give them a long enough shot to begin with. They put me on Latuda (due to it's likeliness of minimal side effects) and it cleared my mixed state right up. I'm talking in a few weeks.