CrazyBoards.org

ECT appointment at 11am

exl2398

Tomorrow is my appointment with the ECT clinic at OSU. I'm not sure what to expect at the appointment, but I'm nervous. Idk if they consider it a consult or if they'll start tomorrow, or whatever. All I know is I'm nervous, depressed, and having anger issues tonight where my dad and I almost got into it physically. I wanted to beat him until he stopped moving, but I didn't lay a hand on him. He got mad at me because I asked where the shredded cheese was cuz I couldn't find it. He got mad at me and did one of those "I can't hold your hand for you for the rest of your life" blah fucking blah. I went OFF. There was no need for that reaction from him. I don't know what makes me think ECT will help for. I don't even know why the fuck I am even bothering. God, I wish I'd just die. Fuck.

Anyway, I'm nervous and I don't know what will even happen tomorrow. And I'm worried my dad is going to make me regret doing this, because he says that I'm an inconvenience. I want to just disappear.

Ugh. Any advice? Questions I should ask?

I don't have much advice. I stil get ECT every 4 weeks and it has saved my life. One thing I always ask, actually they now do without me asking, is to tell me right when they are giving me the drug that puts me to sleep. I am always nervous and it helps to be warned I am about to go to sleep. I'm sorry your dad is being so negative. I hope you have a good result like I did.

for me, the anticipation was far worse than the procedure.  going to the dentist is scarier (to me), now that i've been through ECT.

i hope you have great success with it.  and i'd like to kick your dad in the shins.  you deserve to feel better, i know you've been stuggling for awhile.  maybe you feel hopeless but i'll hold on to some hope for you.

Hey lys. Glad to see you back.

The dentist IS scarier than ECT to me, and my dentist uses nitrious oxide!

My ECT doc said that the success rate is around 75-85% in treatment resistant depression.

Good luck with your ECT.

I'm pretty sure ECT is not legal in the Uk so i don't know much about it.

As a matter of fact, it is indeed legal in the UK.  Here is a link to a page from the website of the Royal College of Psychiatrists:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/ect.aspx

It is a respected and useful treatment for many patients.

olga

neptunesky: I'm going to ask politely for you to stay the fuck out of the ECT forum. You've done nothing but be a pain in the ass here.

ECT can be scary, but it's a fairly simple procedure. I found the worst part was the anticipation, then they knocked me out. Ask for heated blankets, I find them comfortable, and the hospital has oodles of them. It can get cold in there. You might be confused waking up. I had a mild headache. It really wasn't bad. The worst part was the IV, pain wise. And that didn't hurt much, they use a relatively small one. The sounds are kind of scary, heart monitors, beeping. They had a TV in the room I was in and the nurses would stop and chat. It only takes a couple minutes.

Sleep the rest of the day away, you'll want to, from the anaesthesia, and muscle relaxants they pump into you.  About by supper (they did my ECT in the recovery room of a hospital around 5:30am) I had my full bearings back and would get up, wander around, eat and whatnot. I was IP at the time. Have someone with you that day, to get you things. My roommates IP would bring me snacks, and the nurses brought me lots of juice. I didn't forget anything major. I actually wrote down all my computer passwords, but didn't forget any of them. Silly me. :) 

Good luck. I'm sorry about your father. That was an asshole move of him.

Ask any questions that come to mind. Anything. They'll have heard it all. Bilateral, bifrontal, unilateral, and so on. Success rate they have. Recovery time afterwards, for that day. How long before you can drive. Sometimes during a course of ECT, they recommend not driving. If you should have someone with you afterwards. I was IP, so I had a lot of people with me.

Best wishes, and positive thoughts for you. I hope it works for you. It literally saved my life.

What's the success rate of ECT?

i can't say for depression and i'm unsure why you're having it from signature alone, so

i will say that it was really effective at stopping my refractory psychosis

like, i would never have a hope of "remission" without having had it

good luck to you and there're medications i've been on that had far worse side effects

and were far less effect than what ect did for me

neptunesky, Do not post here. You are causing a disturbance. This board is for support. ECT is a tough and scary decision because of the stigma it has from the past, and the fact that it is a procedure done under anaesthesia and it is scary. I have asked you several times to refrain from posting here. 

exl2398 needs support and you've ruined it for her, thanks a lot. I hope you're happy, neptunesky. You really owe exl an apology.

exl, how are you doing? Looking forward to hearing from you. If you want to start another topic, please, go right ahead, as this one is a trainwreck. Wishing you all the best. I'll send you a PM. 

I'm not sure what I missed here...but I'm ok. Not great, not horrible, tho I did almost go IP this weekend.

As for the ECT, they're taking me off another med before they'll do the ECT on me, since lamictal would inhibit their ability to induce a seizure. I'll keep you updated.

sorry to hear you almost had to go in this weekend but glad you're doing better.

it makes sense they'd take you off that first...i've not taken mood stabilizers and such

but they did keep me on antipsychotics the whole time, just switched which ones

hope the consultation went well and you felt like your questions were answered x

Edited by mellifluous