CrazyBoards.org

Inhaling the Flu for money ...

I've never had flu, so I'd be interested in seeing if I would get infected with that direct approach.  However, I'm too old. *pout*

If they start looking for volunteers over 50, somebody let me know. 

olga

Yeah, with my general health the last few months, I would turn down the $3000. People *do* die from the flu, especially those who are already compromised in some other way; I have physical problems and the crazy, plus I'm 50. It wouldn't be worth the risk for me..

Indigo, if they want old ladies for any experiments, let me know.

Odetta, I sometimes wonder if I have an immunity.  My parents never got the flu and my sister and brother haven't had it.  I get the occasional cold and I've had bronchitis a few times, but it's not the same thing.

olga

Once when i was 19 or 20 I volunteered for a skin study. It didn't pay very much, but I was desperate. They tested baby shampoo in little patches on my arm, and several of the patches turned into terrible rashes, and I thought that if baby shampoo did that what was all the other crazy stuff they were testing going to do to me, so never again. Had friends who supported themselves that way for a bit though. As for the flu, I've had it multiple times and it is terrible. I would probably do it for $3000, but definitely not much less than $3000.

I was going to say that I would do it for half that.

But then I remembered that other people live in/visit my house and I could infect them.

Now I probably wouldn't do it for the full amount.

There goes that day dream.

You would be quarantined in the hospital for 9 days, so you wouldn't be around healthy people.  From the article:

"And to avoid spreading the germs, participants must spend at least nine days quarantined inside a special isolation ward at the NIH hospital, their health closely monitored. They're not released until nasal tests prove they're no longer contagious."

I was going to say that I would do it for half that.

But then I remembered that other people live in/visit my house and I could infect them.

Now I probably wouldn't do it for the full amount.

There goes that day dream.

You would be quarantined in the hospital for 9 days, so you wouldn't be around healthy people.  From the article:

"And to avoid spreading the germs, participants must spend at least nine days quarantined inside a special isolation ward at the NIH hospital, their health closely monitored. They're not released until nasal tests prove they're no longer contagious."

I didn't even read that. heh. Yeah, okay. If that were a local thing, I would do it.

Vet bills, braces for the kid, that money is valuable as hell.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, this is weird timing, but earlier today I was thinking about an old friend of mine who quit paying taxes in a fit of pique the year he got a 1040 from the blood bank where he'd been selling his plasma. He absolutely went nuts at the prospect of paying taxes on his blood. I think he and the IRS would have had a falling out at some point anyway-he was a big-time hippie anarchist type who was just waiting to fall off the grid and go...I don't know what...brew beer and raise puppies and fix vans for a living out in the boondocks somewhere. Eventually he calmed down and paid his back taxes so he could buy a house. This reminds me of him because it's totally something he would do.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Gearhead