CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone have problems distiguishing real / not real?

Especially after tdoc appts, I will suddenly think that none of that was real and that it was amazing that I could imagine these people in the office, then I feel kind of stupid for being in the building until some minutes later I realize it was real.  

I don't remember that happening before meds but frankly I can't remember a lot from when I was hypo/manic.  Anybody have any opinions?  I'm not really sure I should tell my tdoc, I mean, this sounds stupid, but what if she's not real?  who the hell am I talking to?  a wall?  

Yes.

It only takes a few okay hours after not okay ones for my mind to put the blinders on.

Within a few days, I am at, why was I being so silly? All the stuff that went on seems like some crazy story about a twin sister.

I guess the only way of really keeping track, if it doesn't seem real, is writing about things as though you are taking notes on something you saw, not something you remember. It's actually a CBT exercise given to me by my therapist ("The Detective"). Sometimes I do make notes in that way, and it helps. It's kind of hard to keep up though. It is too tempting and so easy to just stuff away unpleasant things in some dusty corner of the brain where it can't be seen.

Since i've been on this board I have written more detailed accounts of my more serious issues than I have probably ever. I think it's actually been waking me up to it. I am full of contradictions, always, but at least I have a record of something.

I struggle with this a lot. I often wonder if what I actually said to someone else was real. I also do this with every day life. I'm sitting here typing but I can't know for sure. It really puts my mind in overdrive. I told my therapist this and she'll challenge me to prove that it is real. Sometimes it works. But yes, I think you should tell your tdoc this so you can have some dialogue about it.

Yes, but not in the sense that you are having. My problem is separating what is truly real from constructs of the human mind (not real). How much of "consensus reality" is really real and how much is mass delusion? I don't know.

Definitely talk it over with your tdoc.

Edited by jt07

Thanks, everybody.  I see tdoc tomorrow.  

jt07, the only mass delusion I have issues with is afternoon rush hour traffic.  And I'm certain it's not me who's deluded since the poeple around me are loudly and obnoxiously trying to act like it's all a game of tiddlywinks instead of bumper cars with deadly weapons. 

Especially after tdoc appts, I will suddenly think that none of that was real and that it was amazing that I could imagine these people in the office, then I feel kind of stupid for being in the building until some minutes later I realize it was real.  

I don't remember that happening before meds but frankly I can't remember a lot from when I was hypo/manic.  Anybody have any opinions?  I'm not really sure I should tell my tdoc, I mean, this sounds stupid, but what if she's not real?  who the hell am I talking to?  a wall?  

This is on my mind way too often. I often have trouble convincing myself that things are really happening. I've been told it might either be derealization or odd thinking related to the PD. Regardless, it's very disorienting and can shake my confidence at times. It's hard to hang onto things with the nagging doubt. Typically, I'm able to function in a "when in Rome, do as Romans do" kind of way, going along with what's happening around me while wrestling with the idea that this could all be completely false. It helps me when I can't get my feet back under me.

Going to tdoc today.  and.  I was walking back into the office from the restroom which was in the hall and I realized I remembered talking to someone in the bathroom but I couldn't remember who it was and that I was sure they were with me going into the office only when I looked around, there was no one, and I had had my mouth open to talk some more.

Pretty sure that was fucked up.  I think anyway.  I didn't see anyone but I was sure I was talking and I even know what I was talking about. I hope the doc says it's just stress or something.  I dunno.

Not dwelling on it seems to help me more than anything, honestly, though of course that's easier said than done in a moment where reality does a dolly zoom and everything is momentarily freaky. Breathing could be good for calming, though, and helping, if not ground, at least center so that the experience isn't quite as unnerving. May have to try that myself.

Edited by Mim

The tdoc wants me to try the deep breathing type stuff.  Mostly I'm trying not to think about it.  Don't know if that will work or not.

Your exact situation happened to me yesterday down to the detail of being at a tdoc appointment with the symptoms you are describing... Twilight zone moment going on here. 

My pdoc saw me not much later and immediately, within a few minutes pegged me as being in psychosis.

Do you think you are psychotic?

For some people real and not real is vague transparent border. Rand psychotic symptoms are in the middle. 

The tdoc wants me to try the deep breathing type stuff.  Mostly I'm trying not to think about it.  Don't know if that will work or not.

Good and correct breathing is important to prevent/reduce panic attacks and hyperventilation.  But it can also reduce psychotic symptoms with as cause stress. 

:) Best wishes and hope you'll get out of this difficult situation. 

I really hope you get something out of deep breathing with your tdoc. It's a horrible feeling to not know. Wishing you the best!

Also, I get confused with dreams and reality.. Just adding that, since you asked.