CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
starship_subaru

saying things with no control

for all I know everyone does this. it usually only seems to occur when I am alone or think I am. one time I was actually walking past a cop who was standing there. oooooops. luckily I was muttering quietly and I doubt he thought much of it....:-/

saying random words out loud without feeling I have any control over what I am saying. I cant remember specific things ive said except one recently that seemed really odd. im just driving down the road and all of a sudden I shout "VERIFY! VERIFY! VERIFY!"

its not like a huge MI problem that's interfering with my life but every time it happens I just have this feeling of extreme fear and disgust. seems like im lost in thought, then my thought just gets broken off and replaced by this.....I dunno how to explain it really. the emotion feels like a nightmare or a horror film. and then I say some weird shizz. and then eventually it's over.

does this sound familiar to anybody? it is really bothersome.....

Tourettes is a thought that comes to my mind.

i do this sometimes and i haven't been diagnosed with torretts, i do have extreme anxiety that makes me talk fast

and feel the compulsion to get words out.

i have been called rude in the past. It's hurt full.

Having anxiety and feeling the compulsion to get the words out and talking fast might be characterized as "pressured speech" on a mental status exam. It's the feeling of "too many words! must get them out of my mouth NOW!"

I think the OP is describing something little different if I understand correctly.

He's talking about "must say this random word out loud".

He's talking about "must say this random word out loud".

yeah pretty much. there is some anxiety involved, i think. high anxiety definitely seems to trigger it. but the weird thing is, i dont know what i'm going to say until ive said it. it's just a random word that pops out without my having thought of it at all. usually i put a lot of thought into my words before i speak, so it's really weird. it doesn't really feel like me who is saying these things even though i know it is.

I do this, too.  I don't know why.  I've wondered if it is voices talking through me.  The really weird thing is that I rarely do it in public.  I don't think of doing it in public, either.  

When the voices get really loud and screamy in my head, I have to say something, anything, to make it stop.  It works for a while, or until I take my meds.  The lithium kills this almost completely.  

I would say that what you have just described has KINDA happened to me. I'm an anxious person and I say a lot of shit that I should not because I feel like I NEED to say it to get the anxiety to stop. It never works, but that's beside the point.

What you are describing happens to me VERY rarely. It's more like the "did I just say that out loud?" thing without the really knowing I said it out loud. And then it isn't a lot like what you said because I don't feel like it is anxiety based. And I don't think I feel as disconnected from the speech as what you said.

I would describe this to a p-doc if I were you. And precisely the way you described it here. You did a very good job and I personally have a pretty good idea what you are saying, I think.

You're saying that words come out of your mouth without you realizing it, but you have made a connection with high anxiety. You don't know what words will come out until after they do.

I really think this is something that you should address with a professional. 

If I say something because I'm anxious, I at least blurt out a very rough draft of what I was already thinking. If that makes any kind of sense.

Anyway, yeah, talk to someone about that. I can imagine that this would be unsettling. If it's bothering you, please bring it up.

Yeah, I totally do this sometimes.  It's anxiety-related.

...It's kinda freaky to just have crap popping out of your mouth.

I have almost exactly the same problem and it is really affecting my life a lot but I don't know what can be done about it.  The only thing that stops it is alcohol.

I too find it is much worse when I'm on my own, when it happens in public I can usually manage to say things very quietly or manage to say something fairly non-crazy like something a normal person might occasionally mutter to themselves.  At home or driving in my car I guess because I subconsciously know there is less risk of embarrassment I say things more often and much louder, I am worried the neighbours hear me.  I also say things that I know I didn't think about and wouldn't have thought about and don't know what I am going to say until after I've said it (sometimes I can manage to keep the words in my head).  At other times I say fairly predictable things but still there is no way I WANT to say them. 

For me I often say things when I have thought about something distressing (typically a flashback of someone being horrible to me), and I feel severe embarrassment and horrible about what the person said or thought about me and often also stop and cover my face with my hands or something as I feel so bad.  

If someone has recently been horrible to me or I have been embarrassed or acted stupid I get much much worse for several days or weeks.  They don't have to have done much to set me off these days, can be something as little as an impolite shop assistant.

I have had this problem since a teenager, but it has gotten much more frequent and worse.

If anyone has ever found at treatment that helps with this problem I would really like to know.

On 2/8/2014 at 3:53 AM, eee123 said:

I have almost exactly the same problem and it is really affecting my life a lot but I don't know what can be done about it.  The only thing that stops it is alcohol.

I too find it is much worse when I'm on my own, when it happens in public I can usually manage to say things very quietly or manage to say something fairly non-crazy like something a normal person might occasionally mutter to themselves.  At home or driving in my car I guess because I subconsciously know there is less risk of embarrassment I say things more often and much louder, I am worried the neighbours hear me.  I also say things that I know I didn't think about and wouldn't have thought about and don't know what I am going to say until after I've said it (sometimes I can manage to keep the words in my head).  At other times I say fairly predictable things but still there is no way I WANT to say them. 

For me I often say things when I have thought about something distressing (typically a flashback of someone being horrible to me), and I feel severe embarrassment and horrible about what the person said or thought about me and often also stop and cover my face with my hands or something as I feel so bad.  

If someone has recently been horrible to me or I have been embarrassed or acted stupid I get much much worse for several days or weeks.  They don't have to have done much to set me off these days, can be something as little as an impolite shop assistant.

I have had this problem since a teenager, but it has gotten much more frequent and worse.

If anyone has ever found at treatment that helps with this problem I would really like to know.

Hi did you find any treatment or further info to this problem please ? I have the same thing also and it’s really affecting my life as I have removed myself from being in public as much as possible. Mine can regularly happen in public places, usually if I’m thinking about past regrets or when I have had something upsetting / embarrassing happen. It also happens sometimes after I have to speak to people I don’t know, which already causes me anxiety, then I get racing thoughts followed by speaking out loud random words. If anyone can help with information / treatment / diagnosis etc I would be so grateful. 💕

I am sorry you have to bear this. I have heard of APs and AAPs used in tourette's or some tic disorders with success. Have you seen a doctor or mentioned your problem to one ?  Psychiatrists or Neurologists treat these kind of disorders. If you want things to get better seeing a doctor is the direction to go.