CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Queerky

Buying A Pet Rat To Help With Depression

Since I cannot have a dog in my new apartment, and having her helped me so much (she's back with my mother now), I have thought long and hard about what pet I should now buy. It had to be small.

The things about the dog that helped me were the scheduled play times, the cuddles, the routine of feeding and cleaning. If I wouldn't get out of bed for me I would manage it for the dog. Cause I had to. And then eventually because I wanted to. And I actually felt happy. And connected. 

So after looking at birds and fish and hamsters and small rabbits and lizards- I've settled on getting a male rat. 

I have decided on a male rat because they tend to be lazy and bigger. I don't mind smellyness or peeing on me. I used to have a pet lorikeet that would poop all on my shoulder lol. Loved that bird to bits. Oh and I'd probably neuter it if it got all aggressive or started dragging its ball over me. 

Also another deciding factor is that my partner has kept rats before and he knows what to do. And rats as tame pets are kind of known for being cuddly cute things. 

So yeah. Anyone here with a pet rat or someone using an animal other than a dog or cat to aid with MI? 

I don't know if this is an option but you may be able to bring your dog to the apartment if she is an emotional support animal.

As far as rats, you sound like you have a good plan and someone that knows how to take care of them.

I wish that was an option. But unfortunately here in New Zealand, that kind of thing doesn't really exist. We're not that progressive a country :P 

I see.  You should get some responses because there are people here with different kinds of pets.

At the moment I have two cats, but before that, I've had chinchillas and other rodents :)

For me, animals seemed to be doing better job at keeping me connected and around than any of the previous meds I've tried.

So yes, I think basically any animal might help particularly with depression, if you are in stable enough state to be taking care of it (or have some help with the daily chores and stuff).

I've heard that with rats it's better to get two of them. You can get two males if they're both young, or one of them is neutered. One by itself won't die, it'll just have a better life with a pal around.They're extremely social and quite intelligent animals, and they like to groom each other with their teeth, play chasing and sleep in a heap together. In research labs they are often kept together in pairs or groups because it's less boring and more natural.

I think they're lovely animals actually. You can teach them tricks and pet them and even tickle them (if you start when they're young and keep going when they're adults). The giggles are supersonic so you can't hear them but they are real!

When I lived at home my little dog helped me so much as well. I think I'd also like to get rats if I lived somewhere I could keep them.

I have always been told that rats make wonderful pets.   My SO would love one but I am not that progressive. :-}

Just curious why you opted out of the cat option.  My kitty definitely helps with my depression.  Sometimes the only thing I can manage besides getting into bed with a good book is smothering my cat with kitty love.

one of our friends' daughter had a pet rat

they adored the li'l guy

the balls are a bit off-putting, tho'

sounds like you've got a good plan

We had rats for years. The males are lazy haha, the females are very sweet but don't sit still. The are very dog like in that they love to be with you and like to play. Doesn't matter if they were asleep, they always woke up when we walked by and wanted to come out. Feeding them is fun too because they will and can eat almost anything. We shared leftovers all the time, mostly healthy stuff but they had the occasional treat. I miss them sometimes but we have bunnies now. They aren't as fun. :/

Rats are great.  They don't live very long, however, only 2-3 years.  So you may want to take that into consideration if you are the sort of person to grieve a lot when you lose a pet.

I started a donations page (because I am working minimum wage after all) and it's going really good so far. I will be getting two if I can afford them :3 

Edited by Queerky

I started a donations page (because I am working minimum wage after all) and it's going really good so far. I will be getting two if I can afford them :3 

Queerky - most all of us are anonymous here.  Though your donation page is lovely to see, I know who you are because of that page.  Perhaps it would be best to just delete the link, keep the words?

Hi Queerky...

You are welcome to put a link in your signature. Please don't put links for fundraisers on the boards, though, because when your fundraiser is over the link will still be on the boards.

Would you please edit your link out and redirect people to a link in your signature instead?

Thanks,

Woo

(mod team)

im so sorry D: i got all excited and silly :(

thanks for telling me off though. i'll remember for next time :)

Oh, I'd be totally excited too...

I did the same thing when I was raising money for my service dog because I didn't know any better.

I hope you get a rat castle!!!

My nephew has two male rats who are brothers. They are very social and he has a wonderful time with them. He pretty much lets them roam around the house a lot. He gets them little presents like a hammock to lay on in their cage etc. I think it's a great idea to get some rats. And they really do seem to enjoy the company of one another.

im so sorry D: i got all excited and silly :(

thanks for telling me off though. i'll remember for next time :)

Don't be sorry. It is my stuff.  I get paranoid about anonymity here because I talk about things some people my family don't know about. And also because I talk about my daughter.

My daughter really wants a pet rat too. We call her the pied piper lol. She has a collection of stuffed animal rats. I'm nervous though because we already have a dog, a chihuahua, and I don't think this would be safe for the rat. Plus I am going through a current home situation that wouldn't be wise to add another pet right now. I don't know how that would work. For now, we're settling on a book to learn all about them. My husband and I used to own hamsters, so we're a little familiar with rodents lol but yeah, I think the best thing is for you to get a book first so you can find out all kinds of quirky cute little things about rats. This will get you even more excited! And who doesn't like looking at cute little mousey pictures?

I got a pet rat! His name is Pink (as in Pink Floyd). He came alone because he was grumpy with all the other boys and the woman said he did better alone. He seems to like me (he was the one that came to me and snuggled up) and I'm so happy with him here. I'll give updates on how he helps with my depression and such. I feel like he'll be just as good as a cuddly cat or dog :3